‘Night’ reveals new perspectives, depicts hardship

20151209-Night-003
[/media-credit] Elie Wiesel wrote Night as a biography about his experience during the Holocaust as a child.

When Elie Wiesel, a fifteen year old boy, had his whole life flipped upside down after being taken from his town, mother and sisters, was faced with the horror of surviving in the Auschwitz and Buchenwald Nazi concentration camps. With only his father left he was brought into the most appalling experience in Jewish history. Night is a true story written by Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel and is deeply read by many around the world.

The book Night, along with many other books written by Wiesel, is the first in its trilogy, talks about his experience throughout the Holocaust and concentration camps toward the end of World War ll. The daunting story is extremely in depth and shows many people how the Holocaust actually was for the Jews.

In one of the key parts, Wiesel talks about how a neighbor of his in Sighet, Moishe, was deported to Poland in 1942. Moishe along with others were forced to dig holes in the ground. They didn’t know why but soon found out that the holes were their own graves, when Nazi’s opened fire, killing them. Somehow, only being shot in the leg, Moishe survives, makes it back to Sighet and tries to warn everyone that they will come to the town for everyone else. Everyone acted like he was crazy and did not believe him.

The gut-wrenching realness of the book Night was hard book to read, not only because of the heavy content, but because it is a true story. I feel like if I was in this type of situation I would’ve have had the same mindset that Elie did throughout the Holocaust and would have wondered where God was as well. Many don’t like reading books about this type of topic, but I think everyone should know about the Holocaust, hear about it, and remember it. — Nathan Mount

In the events that he describes during his experience in the Holocaust play out, for many, it’s hard to grasp and to fathom being in that situation. In Wiesel’s preface, he writes how he was certain in writing the book night, saying that “his duty is to bear witness for the dead and the living.”

'Night' by Ellie Weisel is a best selling book about the Holocasut
[/media-credit] ‘Night’ by Ellie Wiesel is a best selling book about the Jewish Holocaust.

The gut-wrenching realness of the book Night was hard book to read, not only because of the heavy content, but because it is a true story. I feel like if I was in this type of situation I would’ve have had the same mindset that Elie did throughout the Holocaust and would have wondered where God was as well. Many don’t like reading books about this type of topic, but I think everyone should know about the Holocaust, hear about it, and remember it.

While I was reading this book, it was definitely worth the time to go in depth and learn all about what happened throughout Wiesel’s perseverance through the Holocaust. The experience was heart-wrenching, and opened my eyes to perspectives I had not seen before.

The next book in the series are Dawn (1960) and Day (The Accident, 1961).

For more reviews, read the Nov, 8 article, Book turned movie impresses with affects.

This writer can be reached via twitter: @nate10messi1 and via email: Nathan Mount.

[rwp-review id=”0″]