World of Sports: Quest for perfection continues

Panthers at Ravens 9/28/14
Panthers at Ravens 9/28/14
[/media-credit] Led by Cam Newton, the Panthers are the only undefeated team in the NFL

Many teams can only dream about a perfect season. In the NBA, the Golden State Warriors started the season, 24-0. Their perfect streak came to an end on Friday, Dec. 12, when the Milwaukee Bucks defeated the reigning champs, 108-95. In the NFL, the Carolina Panthers have started the season, 13-0. They remain as the only undefeated team in the NFL. Achieving what many thought impossible, the Panthers are only three games away from being the fifth team in NFL history to have a perfect regular season.

On Sunday, Dec. 13, the Panthers took on the Atlanta Falcons at home. After a quick touchdown run by Jonathan Stewart, Cam Newton threw two touchdowns to receiver Ted Ginn Jr. The Panthers defense also stepped up. They sacked Matt Ryan five times and recovered two fumbles. The Panthers never looked back and shut out the Falcons, 38-0.

The most recent team to have a perfect regular season, were the ’07 New England Patriots. They made it to the Super Bowl, but fell short of a perfect season with a, 17-14 loss to the New York Giants. This Super Bowl was greatly remembered for David Tyree’s, “helmet catch.” The only team to have a perfect season, were the 1972 Miami Dolphins, who finished, 17-0. The Dolphins defeated the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII.

The Carolina Panthers are off to the best start in franchise history. Despite the loss of last year’s leading receiver, Kelvin Benjamin, the Panthers consistently find ways to win. Led by quarterback, Cam Newton, who is in the talk for MVP of the league, linebacker, Luke Kuechly and cornerback, Josh Norman, the Panthers are definitely one of the top teams in the NFL.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/237532807″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

Newton has had arguably his best season in the NFL. He already has more passing touchdowns this season, than he did in his previous four seasons. With the absence of Benjamin, tight end, Greg Olsen has filled the role nicely. Olsen has caught six of Newton’s touchdown passes along with nearly 1,000 yards receiving. Along with throwing the ball, Newton also can extend the play by using his legs. He has ran for roughly 500 yards and seven touchdowns.

Panthers at Ravens 9/28/14
[/media-credit] The Panthers seek to continue the best start in franchise history

With only three games left in the season, I am excited to see if any team can bring down the Panthers. Out of the three teams that they play, none have a winning record, so these games should not be very challenging. They do play consecutive road games, one in New York and the other in Atlanta. Being away from the home crowd may affect the way the Panthers play, but I do not think that it will be enough to stop them.

New York does have offensive threat, Odell Beckham Jr. While he alone would not be able to beat the Panthers, a big day from him would definitely help. It may be tough, as he will be lined up against Josh Norman. Atlanta has receiver, Julio Jones and running back, Devonta Freeman. With a productive day from these two, the Falcons may have a chance, however the Panthers’ defense ranks third in yards allowed.

Undefeated seasons are a rare sight in sports these days. The Carolina Panthers have a chance to finish the regular season undefeated, something that has not happened in the NFL for 8 years. If the Panthers want to finish with a perfect record, they will have to play harder than they have all season.

Information for this article was provided by, ESPN.

For last week’s sports column read, World of Sports: College Football Playoff teams announced.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc