Chicago Cubs look to end record World Series drought

20160419-Cubs-002
[/media-credit] Wrigley field prepares to host a game against the San Francisco Giants, Aug. 2015. The Cubs ultimately swept the four-game series.

Cubs seek to end longest championship drought in sports

For 108 years, the Chicago Cubs have not won a World Series. Yes, you read that right; 108 years. The Lovable Losers have not even played in it since 1945, 70 years ago, when they lost to the Detroit Tigers in seven games. 

This drought is the longest streak in the four major sports. Many other teams have already won their share of World Series, including the Miami Marlins and Arizona Diamondbacks, who joined the MLB in ‘93 and ’98, respectively.

So what’s the deal with the Cubs Thing? Not able to win a World Series in so long with several great chances but unlucky instances occurring every time they get close? An amazing eleven Cubs players have joined the Hall of Fame since 1946, behind only the Yankees. With so many good players, a huge fan base and a great television deal, they have to win sometime, right?

Some argue that there is no Cubs Thing. They ignore it by saying it is simply unlucky and try to deny it exists. However, there are several possible explanations.

It can not be all Steve Bartman’s fault. Bartman is blamed for the Cubs losing the 2003 NLCS to the Marlins. On a foul ball play where Cubs outfielder Moisés Alou was reaching to catch the ball, Bartman put his hand in the way and deflected the ball. Or was it Alex Gonzalez’s error two plays later that lost them the game? From there, they lost their lead and ended up losing the series after being up by a game.

Still, that was fairly recent. In 1945, a fan named Bill Sianis brought a goat to Wrigley Field but was turned away. He vowed a curse saying they would never win a World Series. So far, the Curse of the Billy Goat has proven true.

When Theo Epstein, the man who ended the Boston Red Sox 86 year World Series drought, became General Manager, he immediately took control and started to rebuild in hopes of ending the Cubs Thing.

With high draft picks and players to trade, Epstein created a fantastic rookie core led by 2015 NL Rookie of the Year Kris Bryant, Kyle Schwarber and Addison Russell. He traded for MVP candidate Anthony Rizzo and 2015 Cy Young Award winner Jake Arrieta, who were both nobodies at the time.

4561528659_f6ae6aae1f_o
[/media-credit] The Cubs step up to the plate hoping to hit the upcoming pitch.

Ace lefty Jon Lester was signed for 6 years, $155 million in 2015 and potential MVP candidate Jason Heyward was signed away from division rivals, the Cardinals, for 8 years, $184 million in 2016. Arguably the most important signing is Joe Maddon, who was signed before the 2015 season. Maddon is recognized as an experienced and easygoing manager.

Repeat that: The Cubs are the team to beat.

After the first two weeks of baseball, the Cubs have the best record in baseball at 10-3. According to ESPN, the Cubs are sitting number one in the power rankings, ahead of the Royals and Nationals, respectively.

With the best chance to win a World Series they have had since 1945, the organization will embrace the Cubs Thing and follow Maddon’s philosophy that he wears on his T-shirt. A philosophy that will hopefully end the Cubs Thing. It simply says, “Try not to suck.”

For more sports articles, read World of Sports: Clutch situations make or break champions.

This author can be reached via twitter @alexrurik23 and via email.