World of Sports: Warriors break record, Kobe shines in finale

Wizards v/s Warriors 03/02/11
Washington Wizards v/s Los Angeles Lakers December 14, 2010
[/media-credit] Kobe Bryant dropped 60 points in his last game in the NBA.

A night that only comes once in a lifetime. NBA fans witnessed a long time record get broken and the end of an era to one of the games’ greats. The Golden State Warriors broke the 1995-’96 Chicago Bulls’ season record of, 72-10. With a win against the Memphis Grizzlies, the Warriors finished the season, 73-9. While this was an impressive accomplishment, the game was easily ignored due to another game happening that same night. Kobe Bryant played in the last game of his 20 year career.

The NBA’s third all time scorer announced his retirement back in 2015. Since the NBA resumed after the All Star break, Bryant’s games were counted down. There was tons of anticipation for the last game as the Lakers were facing the Utah Jazz. The game was held at the Staples Center and the prices for tickets started as low as, $900 but were be sold for as much as, $25,000. The Lakers got off to a slow start and they trailed the Jazz, 57-42 at halftime; but then, Kobe Bryant caught fire. He scored 23 points in the fourth quarter as he helped the Lakers rally back to a, 101-96 win.

There was really no better way for Bryant to go out; maybe if he had a shot at another championship. Nevertheless, Bryant dropped 60 points on 22-50 shooting. This was his highest scoring game since March 22, 2007 where he also scored 60.

Aside from the drama happening in L.A., the Warriors were, in my opinion, cheated out of glory. While Kobe’s last game was more important, the Warriors did break a record that had stood for 20 years. I feel that this accomplishment was overlooked by many basketball fans and was forgotten about by the next day. — Nick LeBlanc

I was able to catch a little bit of the Lakers game. I have respect for Bryant and it’s hard to believe that he will no longer be a part of the NBA. Scoring 60 points and leading your team to a comeback win in front of your home crowd is definitely a great way to go out. I think that it would have been great to see Kobe in the playoffs one last time, but unfortunately, the Lakers missed the playoffs by a long shot.

Aside from the drama happening in L.A., the Warriors were, in my opinion, cheated out of glory. While Kobe’s last game was more important, the Warriors did break a record that had stood for 20 years. I feel that this accomplishment was overlooked by many basketball fans and was forgotten about by the next day.

8761681893_828f57fa6d_o
[/media-credit] The Warrior home crowd celebrates the successful season.

In an interview with CSN Bay Area, Klay Thompson, said that NBA legend, Michael Jordan, who was a part of the 1995-’96 team, told Thompson to break the record. After the Warriors broke the record, Jordan released this statement.

“I want to congratulate the Warriors on their amazing season,” Jordan said. “The game of basketball is always evolving and records are made to be broken. The Warriors have been a lot of fun to watch and I look forward to seeing what they do in the playoffs.”

April 13th could arguably be the greatest day in basketball history as fans saw a new record go into the books and a NBA legend hang up his jersey. On top of this excitement, the NBA playoffs have officially started and this postseason should be a good one.

For last weeks sports column, read: World of Sports: Clutch situations make or break champions.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.