LETTER: Choral director thanks for Bellezza support

Dear Editor:

Fresno Christian Ladies ensemble, Bellezza, has returned from a glorious trip to New York City where they sang as part of the National Youth Choir at Carnegie Hall. The Ensemble earned this award by winning a gold rating at a Heritage Festival in Anaheim last year. Learning repertoire and joining with other choirs from across the Nation to sing on America’s most well-known stage was truly the trip of a lifetime.

I’m writing to express my gratitude to the entire FC community for their support this past school year. Since we learned of the invitation last March, we have worked steadily and tirelessly to fundraise for this experience. Each girl needed to raise about $2,300 to attend the festival in New York.

All year, my girls sang at school, church, and community events to raise money and get the word out about the trip. The National Anthem was performed at many sporting events. A jazzy Happy Birthday was serenaded to staff and community members. We sang at Christmas parties, galas, Rotary meetings, and church services. This is in addition to our regular slate of concerts, festivals, chapels and other school events.

The Bellezza Women's Ensemble traveled to New York City to sing at Carnegie Hall, May 1.
[/media-credit] The Bellezza Women’s Ensemble traveled to New York City to sing at Carnegie Hall, May 1.

I can say with authority that this group sang at more events in one year than all other groups combined in any given year. They worked like a professional group, ready to sing at a moment’s notice. I could not be more proud. Through it all they perfected their sound, learned mountains of music, and earned yet another award at a festival, this time the Cal Poly Vocal Arts Festival.

The FC community came through with many donations to this trip. I had many parents walk up to me after concerts, at basketball games, or in the parking lot with a check “for the girls”.

Elementary parents bought hot lunch every Thursday as a way to support us. Teachers offered their own fundraisers to help us. Everyone bought poinsettias, desserts, concession food, or just handed me money. Alumni parents and grandparents donated large sums because they believed in the program. Many of these parents and teachers had no children in any of my singing groups; they just wanted to contribute to Ensemble because they too were proud of them.

This is Fresno Christian; we care about each student and want each group to succeed. I was humbled by the generous response of everyone and want all to know that we raised the money needed.

The ensemble sang their very best in New York and came back with a treasure of memories. I can tell you that in my younger choirs the word is out to work hard so they can one day audition for this special group. Thank you, everyone: administration,teachers, parents, students, for sending us to NY!

Susan Ainley is the choral director on campus