Page Turners: Stargirl

Page Turners: Stargirl

3 Things:

Realistic high school fiction. 

Quick read.

Unique characters.

After spending what felt like hours perusing bookshelves in search of a new read, a book with a stick figure and a star on the cover caught my eye. I began reading soon after, and within the first day, I was about a third of the way through. The plot line of Stargirl is based around Susan Caraway (Stargirl), a new student who transfers to a high school where each student practically acts the same as the next and shakes up their world. In a place where conformity comes naturally, someone like Stargirl clearly cannot survive without falling in the mainstream.

[/media-credit] The first book in the Stargirl series

With the first person perspective and detailed poetic descriptions, readers almost instantly find themselves drawn to Stargirl. The book deals with many harsh truths about fitting in and how differences in high school push students to conform. Gratefully, this book isn’t an instant love story, despite what the back of the book may lead you to believe. The love woven throughout the story is the gentle and innocent first love that compares to the teen romance novels written by Rainbow Rowell or John Green. The love isn’t the highest priority for the main characters, but discovering new things and being themselves seems to be the highest priority for Stargirl, at least. Reading through the novel feels like you are best friends with Stargirl too.

Despite all of the fun through the plot line, some characters seem inaccessible or bland. Stargirl appears as an ever-present being, causing her personality from time to time to confuse or push away readers. In comparison, our narrator Leo falls rather flat next to her. His whole makeup revolves around her, and very few personality traits exist outside of Stargirl. The conflicts are unpredictable, which benefits the characters and shakes up the way they work, testing them.

[/media-credit] The second book in the Stargirl series: Love, Stargirl

Regardless of the strangeness of her personality, Stargirl sets a good example for readers to learn from. The main lesson gained from the story is to be yourself. Stargirl discovers that being yourself and being unique is a higher priority than trying to please others. Stargirl also sets an example for readers to be kind to everyone. Her kindness and selfless acts shine throughout the town and for practically every character mentioned. Stargirl leaves a mark on all she meets, and that is a good way for readers to learn to live like.

There is rumor Jerry Spinelli’s novel is to take the big screen this year at some point, but there are no sources that affirm the fact besides the label on the covers of his book. Overall, the book was very enjoyable and I highly recommend this to anyone looking for young adult fiction. Each moment reading was incredibly enjoyable and I look forward to reading the second book in the series: Love, Stargirl. 

The novel can be purchased online here.

The author can be reached on Twitter: @julz_lozano19

For my last book review, read The Phantom Tollbooth.