We Are Okay book review

We Are Okay book review

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour proves the statement “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Although the art appears like the fun-loving comic series Scott Pilgrim, the plot covers much

[/media-credit] Nina LaCour and her most recent book, We Are Okay.

less exciting subjects such as: tragedy in the family, moving away, living alone, and suppressing emotions. With a slow start and dreary weather described, the descriptions teleport the reader to New York in the middle of winter, alone with main character Marin.

Written in first person perspective, those reading get a view into the character’s mind, but Marin and her friends seem rather bland and one-sided until the middle of the book. The word choice and usage rivals that of a poetry book, but some descriptions seem lengthy and occasionally unnecessary. Flashbacks appear between chapters that happen in real time, occasionally confusing the audience. Through these, readers gain insight into Marin’s life with her grandfather and an understanding as to why she reacts to her life in the ways she does.

We Are Okay covers sensitive topics that some readers may not want to read. A past sexual relationship between the two reunited

[/media-credit] One of Nina LaCour’s other novels, Everything Leads to You.

friends Marin and Mabel is handled delicately by the author and isn’t explicit. This relationship plagues the rest of their friendship and the rebuilding of, but creates an interesting storyline, uncommon in most young adult novels.

Common Sense Media reviewed this book and recommended it to readers fourteen and older. But the matureness of subjects likeunderage drinking, denial of relationships, sex, and depression is better suited for an older reader, possibly sixteen and up. In general, the book relates more to older students who eventually plan on attending college, as the main character and storyline cover events from being alone to discovering new friends and places.

The book, in the beginning, takes time to get started, but hooks readers soon afterward. At first, the main character threw herself a pity party, but later, readers understand the methods to her choices and ad her back story develops, she becomes a much more likable character. The ending to a book in a cold winter is heartwarming and gentle, the author does a wonderful job of tieing up loose ends that the readers are curious about and leaving some things unsaid in grace.

[/media-credit] Another one of Nina LaCour’s works, You Know Me Well, a collaboration with David Levithan 

The characters learn that family, whether born into it or chosen, carries an important role in everyone’s lives. Marin finds her true family only after tragedy, which sets a good example for all reading. The journey that she takes in throughout the quick 200 pages teaches readers good lessons about love and family and helps those going through hard situations learn that eventually, they will be okay again.

Overall, the book conveys this message: After tragedy and heartbreak, healing ispossible.  Nina LaCour’s other novels include You Know Me Well, a collaboration with author David Levithan, Everything Leads to You, The Disenchantments, and her award winning novel, Hold Still. She currently seems to be working on a new novel set to come out in January of 2018: Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet, a collaboration with 13 other authors. 

This book can be purchased online here: Amazon, Barnes and Noble

For the last book review, read Rebel of the Sands.

This author can be reached via email: Juliana Lozano, Instagram, and Twitter.