COLUMN: Underclassman ponders why news matters

Freshman journalist shares view on the importance of news

With all that is going on around the world, many people are unaware of what is actually occurring or are sidetracked by biased news. From personal experience, reading one side of a story can affect opinions and beliefs. However, one has to remember more than one opinion can be supported by evidence.

[/media-credit] Feather journalist Owen Monke.

In an article published by The Daily, “Why Journalism Matters”: Because your voice does,” written by Madelaine VanDerHeyden, former journalist Thanh Tan discusses her view on opinions about news stories. 

“Strong opinions are still fair, and it’s true,” Tan said. “We must respect other viewpoints and other stories. Our own perspectives are not the only ones out there.”

This is an article I completely agree with. I believe that getting unbiased news can help people to gain a greater knowledge of important events that they need to know about such as elections. Biased news can change your opinion, so I believe people should be fully informed of all their options before making a decision. People have to remember that “News isn’t fake just because you don’t agree with it.” News matters.

In the same article, VanDerHeyden, writes about the importance of journalism in the world today.

“Journalism matters to be able to hear and know, and be heard and known, is incredibly powerful and empowering. It brings us together, even if our visions differ.” 

Many famous people who are active on social media stand out to me in the news industry. With their audience so large they can easily influence many people. Yet, I have to be cautious while on social media and then check facts with reliable sources.

In an article published by The Star, author Andrea Cohen Barrack discusses why news matters. Barrack writes about the purpose of journalism.

“Journalism plays a critical function in our lives by conveying information to citizens, by keeping those in power accountable, but above all keeping people connected to each other.”

Barrack brings up an important point when she talks about keeping the people in power accountable. Recently, I have noticed that news providers may be writing stories that are more dramatic and harsh. They do this to make the individual they are talking about come across as corrupt or mean for more clicks. On the other end of the spectrum, they make corrupt officials seem like great leaders. It is important for citizens to keep leaders in check to prevent injustices, corruption, and dishonesty.

The election of our new president, Donald Trump, has stirred up controversy all around the world. Trump recently tweeted threats to revoke news agencies broadcasting licenses.

“With all the fake news coming out of NBC and the networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their license? Bad for country!” and in another tweet, Trump said, “Why isn’t the Senate Intel Committee looking into the Fake News Networks in OUR country to see why so much of our news is just made up-FAKE!”

[/media-credit] It is important for students to read the news and be informed.

Trump is suggesting that he tries to take away the news company licenses only because they are publishing news that he doesn’t agree with or news that is targeted against him. For a while, Trump has been tweeting about fake news and calling out specific news companies when they post something he doesn’t agree with. This has been called to the attention of many people that this is infringing on the First Amendment right of freedom of the press.

My take on the situation is that Trump should not be reacting the way he does when the media says something negative about him. He should be taking the criticism and try to improve. Newspapers should be telling people the information they need not biased information that will force the reader to believe one thing or another. Trump should not be reacting this harsh and handling thing in a more professional manner, not lashing out at the public.

I challenge journalists to be the watchdogs of our society, keeping checks on the people of our country and its leaders, all while having an unbiased story that is does not favor one side or another.

I challenge readers of the news to cross-examine stories and gain a better perspective on a story before forming an opinion. 

Owen Monke can be reached via Twitter and via email

For more columns, read COLUMN: Listen to those whose voice is silent. For more articles, read Michelle Warkentin prepares to part ways with campus and News Engagement Day emphasizes student involvement.