Style Session No. 9 – Ultra Violet 2018

Caption
Caption

What’s your favorite color?

Do you think about colors much? Maybe not since you had Mrs. Witters in kindergarten? Or maybe you’ve gotten into the whole adult coloring book trend?

[/media-credit] Pantone’s 2018 color of the year: Ultra Violet

How about the colors of products around you? The furniture you see in stores? Notebook covers? Clothing displays? Logos of new companies?

Who decides what color things get to be?

Pantone is a company based in New Jersey that specializes in colors. Founded by Lawrence Herbert in 1962, they set out to create a system to identify and match colors for the print and textile design industries. They basically standardize colors across many fields. Since 2000, Pantone has declared a “color of the year.” This happens after a secret two-day meeting of leaders from various nations’ color industries.

Pantone says that color “has always been an integral part of how a culture expresses the attitudes and emotions of the times.” They choose each color by the spirit of the times, reflecting their determination of our cultural pulse.

Last week Pantone announced 2018’s color of the year:  Ultra Violet.

PANTONE 18-3838 Ultra Violet is a super-bright purple. (Last year’s color was Greenery, a refreshing green.) Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, told the New York Times that Ultra Violet “communicates originality, ingenuity and visionary thinking.”

[/media-credit] Be prepared to see Ultra Violet on everything from makeup to home goods to food.

Personally, I’m thrilled with this choice. Purple is my favorite color; it was my wedding color back in 2001. It’s a cheerful color that’s versatile and looks pretty on everyone (whether lavender, bright violet, or royal purple).

Now that you know, be prepared to notice this hue on just about everything next year. You’ll see it reflected in packaging and in beauty lines, housewares and even food. You’ll notice lipsticks and nail polishes in this color. And if you want to be ahead of the curve, pick up a scarf, hat, bag, planner or just about anything you can find right now in purple. Who says you can only dress in red or green this Christmas?

What do you think of 2018’s color of the year?

~ Silva

If you have questions or topics you’d like to see addressed in this blog, please email me at [email protected]. You can read more from me at www.onmyshoebox.com.