Michelle Logan: Voice behind the intercom

Real Heroes: Lawyer invests in students through secretarial position

This is the second in an occasional series on the real heroes on the high school campus. The first in the series, From the IT desk: Robert Hyatt, was published on December 15, 2017. 

A voice on the loud speaker resonates throughout classrooms, announcing various activities occurring throughout the day. Whether a student needs to be pulled out of class for an appointment, a sports game was cancelled or there is a daily campus update, secretary Michelle Logan provides assistance to teachers, students, parents and Principal Amy Deffenbacher and she is the voice behind the intercom.

Prior to working at FCS, Logan worked as a hairstylist, lawyer and college instructor. She pursued a career as an attorney, graduating with Honors from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Dec. 2001. It was then Logan took and passed the Bar Exam in Feb. 2002 and quickly fell into practicing family law.

[/media-credit] Michelle Logan assists students through her secretarial position, but her education and previous experience show she is a graduate of law school.

Despite the strenuous work, Logan enjoyed bringing peace to the children of broken families and being present for them throughout the divorce process. However, after discovering a potentially fatal heart condition, she quickly realized her top priority was to be with her family and moved away from law.

“When I had children of my own, I realized that my inability to leave my work at the office started to affect my interactions with my own family,” Logan said. “Around that time, I started experiencing some health issues. If I was not going to be OK, I wanted to spend every minute I could pouring into my own children. That is when I stepped away from practicing law.”

Logan began teaching business and legal courses at the college level instead, parlaying her experience and knowledge to her students. She appreciated the personal accomplishment teaching offered. Logan stopped teaching when the college where she had worked for nearly four years closed their doors. “After that,” Logan said, “I wasn’t sure where God wanted me, but I knew that being a mom was my number one priority. I wasn’t willing to compromise my relationship with my girls for a paycheck.”

“I loved teaching,” Logan continued. “I loved interacting with students, teaching them and encouraging them. There is nothing more satisfying than watching a student accomplish a goal and knowing that they would take that experience with them into the world. As a paralegal instructor, I taught many classes, including Civil Litigation.

“The culminating project for this class was a Mock Trial,” Logan said. “One of my favorite aspects of my job was working with each class of students to prepare for and participate in a mock trial. 

“Many of my students would even come back after graduation to participate in the mock trial I coached for our school’s annual Law Day,” Logan said. “That is why, when Mr. (Robert) Foshee invited me to talk to his civics class about their mock trial, I was very happy to do so.”

After touring FC in 2016, her two daughters, Ashley Logan, ‘22, and Lindsay Logan, ‘23, enrolled as campus students. Shortly after, Logan began to teach as a substitute teacher on campus. A few months later, Logan was offered a full time position in the junior high and high school office, which she eagerly accepted.

“It didn’t take long for me to realize that working with these students was a wonderful way to make a positive difference in the world,” Logan said. Her love for teaching transferred to the students at FC where her job allows her to continue to be involved in students’ lives and influence them positively.

“I felt that this is where God wants me,” Logan said. “I look at the students here, just as I did my college students, and I see the future. I feel that this is where I can still have an impact through these students. I feel that I can still make a positive difference in the world. I’m not saying I will never practice law again, I’m just saying that right now, being a mom is my main priority.”

Associated student body chaplain, Erin Wilson, ’18, recognizes the extra effort Logan puts in every day.

“I see her help in the school by not only doing her job but also additionally helping out whoever she sees in need,” Wilson said. “She is really selfless in that way. I think she contributes by not just doing her job, but by doing it joyfully. I think her previous job as a lawyer helps her in this job just to think critically when she needs to and come up with solutions to any problem she could face. I really appreciate her because no matter what else has happened in my day, I can always count on her greeting me with a smile.”

[/media-credit] Husband Jeff, left to right, daughters Lindsay, ’22, Ashley, ’23, and Michelle, celebrate Ashley’s 14th birthday at Mikado’s restaurant in Palm Desert, March 30, 2018.

Jake Provost, ‘18, similarly recognizes the joy Logan brings to the school. He serves as a teacher aide for Logan during third period.

“I see her help the school in many different ways,” Provost said. “She is always happy and always saying greeting you with a smile on her face. She brings light into every situation. When somebody needs something, she’s always there to step up and help out.

Logan does not feel that her career change has altered her purpose. In a way, she understands the path she took to get to where she is today.

“My mission hasn’t changed over the years,” Logan said. “It has always been to make a positive difference. However, the means by which this mission is accomplished has evolved to include being the mom God wants me to be and the mom my girls deserve.”

Michelle and her family say they love to spend time together traveling, eating in restaurants and enjoying outdoor activities. In June, Michelle and husband Jeff will celebrate their 20th anniversary.

“We love to travel together as a family,” Logan said. “This weekend (April 7 and 8), we will participate in the California Classic together.  My husband and I will complete a 35-mile bike ride on Saturday. On Sunday, we will complete a half marathon relay together as a family.

“I ran my first half marathon at Disneyland in January 2014 and have completed several half marathons and 10k runs since then,” Logan continued. “The best times are when my family runs with me. In May 2015, my daughter Ashley ran her first 10k with me at Disneyland.”

The following slideshow and photos highlight a few of the family events Logan shared with The Feather. Make sure to stop by in the high school office to say hello to Logan and/or leave a comment at the bottom of this article.

[rev_slider alias=”michellelogan”]

For more articles, read Fresno residents reflect on homeless crisis, pt. 2 and Childhood events shape personality and affect adulthood. For more articles in the FC Real Heroes series, read From the IT desk: Robert Hyatt.

Cathryn Vander Kooi can be reached via email and Twitter.