Student of the month: Deborah Ingerson

Every month The Feather highlights one individual from the student body who demonstrates exemplary character and or admirable dedication to classes or extracurricular activities. Teachers choose those who display the before mentioned characteristics in the classroom setting. The objective of the following article is to honor the effort of students to live by Caleb Code Standards: Seek Truth, Speak Life, Serve Others.

[/media-credit] Deborah Ingerson, ’20, has three older siblings, two sisters and a brother.

The previous student of the month article features Mackenzie Beckworth.

Not every student possesses the ability to keep up with schoolwork, play soccer, and work a part-time job. However, Deborah Ingerson ’20, partakes in all of that and more, which explains why she was nominated for Student of the month.

English teacher Kyle Dodson selected Ingerson for Student of the Month based on the support she gives to her peers and the confidence she displays in her work.

“Deborah Ingerson is a team player through and through,” Dodson said. “She is always there to support her peers to assist them in becoming the best possible version of themselves. I have always admired her positivity even in the face of struggles. She doesn’t let the difficulties of life get to her. Deborah is a walking example of feeling confident enough to lay our baggage at the feet of God, knowing that he can help carry our woes. She is inquisitive, respectful and motivated. I appreciate all that she stands for.”

Ingerson moved to Fresno from Shreveport, Louisiana after her freshman year. She stated that Shreveport is one half as large as Fresno, so living in a big city presented a new experience for her.

The following podcast features Richie Cortez, ’20, interviewing Ingerson about the challenges of starting at a new school.

Ingerson, homeschooled for five years, enjoys the opportunity to be around other students. She was homeschooled during second, third, fourth, seventh, and eighth grade. Though only at FCS for two years, Ingerson has many friends, including fellow senior, Danielle Foster, ’20. Foster talks about her friendship with Ingerson.

“I met Deborah when she first came here sophomore year,” Foster said. “At first we not the closest friends, but as the year progressed we became good friends. She loves everyone around her and is very kind and selfless, and she is a great advice giver.”

Ingerson started piano lessons at the age of seven. Utilizing this skill in worship team, Ingerson enjoys the chance to make music with her friends and learn new aspects of music.        

“My favorite class is worship team,” Ingerson said. “I love being able to play music with my friends and worship God together. I also love how relaxed it is and that I can count on them. I play piano on the team, and I enjoy being able to learn new instrumentals and songs. Playing piano has always been fun for me so to be able to use it in worship is amazing.”

[/media-credit] Ingerson (white uniform) plays the position of center defender.

Playing soccer for the better part of 12 years, Ingerson boasts experience as she played the sport for both school and club. In an interview, Ingerson said that her school valued football more and that soccer presented itself as less popular.  

“I think people in California are better at soccer than the people I played with in Louisiana, ” Ingerson said. “Where I lived, soccer wasn’t that big of a deal and football was more popular. Here, kids take it a lot more seriously so it is a little more of a challenge. When I played club soccer, it was a commitment, we practiced four nights per week and traveled almost every weekend.”

When not in school or sports, Ingerson works with alumna Angelica Escalera, ’19, at Jabin Ice Cream Roll & More. Ingerson believes that jobs assist high school students in learning valuable skills that they can apply in their daily lives.

“I think it is important for students to have jobs because they teach many important life lessons,” Ingerson said. “I like that I get to be around a community of people, learn to manage my money and work for a manager. It can be hard sometimes because you get a lack of sleep or miss out on school opportunities but in the end, it’s worth it.”

For a video on students who work, watch Students With Jobs.

Read the first Student of the Month profile on Owen McCann.

Brayden Iest can be reached via, Twitter and via email.

Deborah Ingerson is involved in many activities including sports (No. 9) and worship team.