BLOG: Inside the Music, No. 1 – Setting the stage

James Barre introduces Alcon Sleeping Giant partnership

Written by singer, songwriter and FCS senior James Barre, Inside The Music shares the inside scoop on the music industry from Allen’s perspective. The new series will be published bi-monthly and Colton’s music can be viewed on his YouTube channel and on Spotify. 

[/media-credit] James Barre, ’20, traveled to various schools around the country on his High School Nation Tour in 2019.

We think we know what happens in the entertainment world. But it’s so much more than what TMZ makes it look like.

Ever since I can remember, I have wanted to be a songwriter. There’s something beautiful about being able to artistically and creatively express myself. I wrote my first song when I was 13 and played it for everyone that would listen.

I wanted to find ways to improve and asked for as much advice as possible. But, of course, no one is going to tell a 13-year-old their music is bad. I realized that the only way to begin improving was to study some of the greatest songwriters of all time.

I dove into the lyrics of Carole King, Max Martin and Paul McCartney, as well as the musical styles of Elton John and Jimi Hendrix. They inspired me, and through studying what they did, my writing improved. I wanted more than anything to be just like them.

I knew that I needed to learn in a more practical way. So I started writing with others, specifically those that were better than me. I knew that by watching the way they worked it would make me stronger.

Over time I improved my skills and honed in on what is my “sound”. I began traveling back and forth from Fresno (my home) to L.A. to work in any session I could. If there was an opportunity available, I took it.

[/media-credit] Originally beginning to write songs at the age of 13, James Barre, ’20, used singers such as Elton John and Carole King for inspiration.

I found that there was nothing I was more passionate about than my music. I began releasing the music I was creating. As my music gained traction, record labels and publishing groups began to reach out to me. This past summer, I signed a non-exclusive publishing deal with Alcon Sleeping Giant Music Group.

Basically, what all of this means is that I have the inside scoop. I have a lot to say about this industry and no one to share it with. In this blog, I want to tell you what things in the music world look like from the inside out.

I will share things that are going on with new artists, album releases and shifts in pop styles greatly affect the industry. With this platform, I hope to share some of that with you.

Stay tuned … much more is to come.

James Barre can be reached via Twitter and email.

For another blog, read BLOG: Style Session, No. 4, 2019-20 – Sunday best.

For more articles, read Top tennis players compete, lead team toward Valley title or Year of the student journalist concludes, young voices speak out.