Bryson Graham breaks school record, earns The Fresno Bee Player of the Week

Junior scores 10 three-pointers, community nominates him for local award

[/media-credit] Bryson Graham, ’21, broke the school record for most three-pointers in one game with ten, Jan. 21.

During a matchup against Kings Christian, a school record was shattered following an Eagles three-pointer by  Bryson Graham, ’21, Jan. 21. The junior made his tenth three-pointer of the evening, breaking the previous record of nine held by alumnus Tyler Breedlove, ‘16.

Following this performance, Graham earned a nomination for The Fresno Bee winter sports Player of the Week, Jan. 20-25.

Graham recalls the game and situation in which he was able to break the record. Shattering the school record while also having the former record-holder in attendance made the experience more memorable for the junior.

“I always knew I could break the record,” Graham said. “I was just waiting for the game where I would catch fire and actually have a chance at it. But at halftime of that game when I already had six ‘threes’, I knew I had to take advantage of it. The fact that the former record holder is my assistant coach and was there to see it happen made it a lot better.”

In the following tweet, junior Bryson Graham breaks the school record for most three-pointers in one game.

Former record holder and current assistant coach Breedlove enjoyed watching the game where Graham broke his record. Breedlove recalls his excitement to see the standard broken and offers advice to Graham.

“I’m happy Bryson broke my record because he is a good kid and works hard every day at practice, so it was well deserved,” Breedlove said. “I gave him a big hug after the game and just congratulated him. I told him to keep getting better and win a Valley championship.”

In the following podcast, junior Kyle Clem discusses The Fresno Bee Player of the Week award with Bryson Graham, ’21.

During the voting period of Jan. 29-31, Graham began the second day of voting with nearly 1,000 votes. Over the next 24 hours, Graham slowly accumulated more votes and led all nominations with over 8,000 votes by the final day. He finished the day with 14,607 votes and earned 38 percent of the total votes cast.

[/media-credit] Graham received 38 percent of the total votes for The Fresno Bee Player of the Week.

Teammate Carston Saelzler, ’21, enjoyed the opportunity to vote for his teammate in a city-wide competition and began recruiting others to help in the voting. Saelzler appreciates the support displayed by his school in voting his teammate on to victory.

“When I first saw Bryson on the Fresno Bee, I was immediately voting and got some teammates and school peers to vote along with me,” Saelzler said. “It then continued to a whole school-wide vote for the next couple of days. I was proud of our school rallying behind my teammate and I was really happy for him when he won. He deserved it.”

The campus basketball squad returns to action against Kings Christian on Senior Night, Feb, 7. Go out and support your Eagles!

Kyle Clem can be reached via Twitter @KyleClem5 and via email.

For more articles read COLUMN: Seniors travel to Israel for a new perspective on scripture and Scientist raises sleep awareness, students struggle to maintain rest pattern.