Senior Reflection: Annabelle Messer

[/media-credit] Messer has attended FCS since kindergarten and is considered a “lifer”.

When I think of Fresno Christian, I get an overwhelming sense of familiarity. FCS has been my second home for as long as I can remember. From sitting in the afternoon kindergarten class of Amy Witters to receiving an email that I will finish my last semester of high school online due to COVID-19

I never imagined how quickly high school would flash before my eyes. I continually heard that you will never forget your high school years. That statement was very true. As I look back to freshman year realizing that this is where I would find my best friends and deciding how I would leave my imprint on this school, I cannot help but think of how my plans do not compare to the Lord’s. 

Fresno Christian has taught me so much. Not only academically but spiritually. I am so thankful for the community at FCS and the encouragement to speak the name of Jesus. I will forever remember the epic worship chapels, serve day, see you at the pole, and of course the random outbursts of singing during class. 

These years were pivotal for me. I found what my passions are, what I enjoy, what I dislike, who my life long friends would be, and even my style. God truly blessed me with my best friends for life and he knew I would need them in my lows and my highs. 

I am forever grateful for the opportunities FCS has given me. Including, CSF, sister to sister, journalism, photojournalism, sports, leadership, and stepping out of my comfort zone. I never imagined being a part of such an incredible team like The Feather Online. 

Who knew my high school career would change forever after Greg Stobbe convinced me to write articles every week, interview multiple individuals, and take hundreds of pictures during events. The Feather has taught me so much, not only about myself but who I want to be. 

[/media-credit] (left to right) Megan Leblanc, Kori James, and Annabelle Messer take photos at the annual FCC Journalism Conference, Oct. 25.

I want to thank Kori James and Greg Stobbe for continually pushing me past what I thought I could achieve. Thank you for always having your best interest in me and never giving up on me even when I messed up. You have shown me who I want to be when I grow up and how to implement being a light to others in my daily life.

I am so thankful that I was able to step out of my very comfortable comfort zone and do things I never saw myself doing. During my two years on The Feather I learned how to interview people professionally, improve my writing stills, take pictures, edit pictures, caption pictures and run a social media platform. I could not have done this without the help of my amazing editors in chiefs. As well as my incredible advisors.

I also want to thank Robert Hyatt. Thank you Hyatt for constantly cheering up my day. I am so grateful for your joyful heart for everyone around you. Thank you for always helping us when we have technical difficulties. I am going to miss seeing you in the halls everyday!

I am going to miss our coffee runs, dance parties in the lab, and the constant stomach aches from laughing so hard. You all truly shaped me and helped me realize how to work hard, not only for myself but for those around me. I am so happy I joined The Feather my junior year and cannot imagine my high school career without it. 

I am going to especially miss my time playing sports at FCS. Soccer has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember and I am so grateful that I was able to play the sport I love during my high school career. Through the pain of tearing my ACL and not being able to play half my senior season, it all came to an end when we won the Valley Championship game. That feeling was epic!

[/media-credit] Messer joined The Feather Online as a journalist her first year and then became a photojournalist her second year on the team.

I want to thank my coaches for pushing me to be the best player I could be. Showing me what it looks like to be a good teammate on the field and even on the sidelines. I am so blessed to have had four amazing years with a team that I will miss forever. Thank you to my team for always having my back, picking me up when I needed it the most, having so much fun on and off the field, and never giving up. 

Not only do I want to thank my inspiring teachers and coaches, but I want to thank my family. Thank you Mom, Dad, Mikayla, Courtney, and Olivia for always encouraging me. Thank you for always listening to me and giving me the best advice. I could not have done this journey without you all by my side.

My heart breaks to think that I will not have the opportunity to finish out my senior year with my classmates by my side due to the COVID-19 virus. This ending is not what I expected but I am forever grateful for the time I got at FCS. I am so grateful for the community FCS brings and the family aspect. 

It is hard to say goodbye to my second home for the past 13 years and something so familiar. I grew here, I cried, laughed, had good days and even bad days. I know I am not done learning about myself, it just may not be at FCS anymore. I can not wait for the next chapter in my life and I can truly say that I am ready. Class of 2020 we had a good run! Don’t worry FCS I will be back!

After graduating from Fresno Christian, Annabelle Messer will be attending Grand Canyon University in Arizona while majoring in exercise science with an emphasis on sports medicine. She also plans to play club soccer.

The Following slideshow includes images that photojournalist Annabelle Messer has taken throughout the 2019-2020 school year.