Senior Reflection: Thy Pham-Nguyen

International student shares highlights from Fresno Christian, importance of memories

[/media-credit] An international student from Vietnam, Thy Pham-Nguyen, ’20, joined The Feather during her senior year.

Well, we did it. I know this year did not meet expectations for many of us, but the truth is, even though the last two months of our high school senior year aren’t as perfect as we expected, it has passed and left so many beautiful emotions and memories in each of us. 

12 years ago in the fall—we the kids that just turned 6 years old—did not know that that 12 years later we would have to say goodbye with a lump in our throats and tears in our eyes.

In this school year, our teachers and fellow students have achieved many remarkable achievements. In order for us to become as successful as we have today, our teachers and students have had  to make great sacrifices. The teachers do not only teach lessons from the books, but also to teach us to be better humans.

When I think about a moment or memory that was meaningful to me, I immediately think of the Valentine’s Day concert. This event was so beautiful that I still remember it very well. I remember every bit of my trembling, heavy breathing and the nervousness when I was about to go on stage. 

And I also remember the dazzling feeling when the spotlight was on my face and when the “Be My Man” music was playing, at the same time, I jumped out of my bubble and sang as hard as I could on the stage. 

Although I could not see the audience, including my friends who were sitting below, I knew they were watching and wished me a smooth performance. I was swaying to the music along with my purple skirt that stood out thanks to the colored screen behind my back. After everything was done, the screams and the applause of the audience is what I love the most.

When Mrs. (Susan) Ainley asked me why I sang despite my nervousness, I answered: “I just love the feeling of being up there.” I don’t know how to explain it; it’s just like magic but real.

If life is a journey, then surely each of us has walked the path called “learning”. For me, going to Fresno Christian is indescribable happiness. I’m not sure this school year was a fun year for some of the seniors, but there is one thing I am sure of – all of you have had beautiful memories and laughter.

As for the other grades, I have a message I want to send to you: this place will not let you down and your success depends on yourself.

[/media-credit] Thy Pham-Nguyen, ’20, sang “Be My Man” for the 2020 Valentine’s Day Concert – an event she now treasures from her memories at FCS.

What I have today after four years of learning is just the beginning. My future is another huge road, with many opportunities and many challenges. With all sincerity, I would like to remind you that it does not matter where you come from, as long as you try hard to train, study and assert yourself. As a result, you will not be inferior to any famous university students in the US and other countries.

When you have chosen the path to go, walk with burning passion and determination to progress and you will succeed.

On behalf of all the students in this Fresno Christian school, I would like to express my gratitude to the teachers – who have spent their days and nights working on the lesson plans, giving their best and dedicating themselves to helping us become better.

And likewise, I would like to send my sincere thanks to the parents – thank you for always giving the conditions for us to be trained in this environment.

I will try to stop my tears from falling during the graduation ceremony. I understand this is not a teardrop filled with sadness, but a teardrop of happiness, because I have been allowed to study in a wonderful environment along with amazing friends, teachers and have gotten to stay with the best host family.

Oscar Wilde once said, “Memory is the diary that we all carry about with us.” And for me, my memories with this school and with the United States will be the most beautiful diary pages that I will always carry with me throughout my life.

For more senior reflections, read Senior Reflection: Richie Cortez or Senior Reflection: Avery Jones.

Thy Pham can be reached via email.

The following slideshow features additional images of Thy Pham, ’20.