COLUMN: ASB activities director Carston Saelzler shares leadership purpose

Activities director Carston Saelzler explains L.E.A.D. acronym: ‘Love’

Senior Carston Saelzler writes the second column of a series written by All Student Body officers, highlighting the mission of student leadership. For the previous article written by campus ASB president Jacob Hyatt, read COLUMN: Student body president shares student leadership purpose.

Merriam-Webster states the definition of love as “(noun) a strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties.” As a leadership team we strive to transform this love in our acts of service, motivation, and fun. We look at love as a verb. For us, it is a state of action not a noun.

[/media-credit] Senior Carston Saelzler explains L.E.A.D. acronym: ‘love’.

Being in a state of love includes treating others as you would yourself, leading our peers by example, and always encouraging with kindness. Where does this source of love come from? If you would ask our leadership team, I would hope most would answer with the knowledge that we love because Jesus loved us first. We love because we are loved.

“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:18-19

God’s love is so vast and so spectacular I think we as humans cannot even begin to wrap our minds and truly understand how much God loves us. FCS Leadership embraces love not only for the help and service of other but also for the development of our own faith. This includes weekly devotions, daily prayer, and class encouragement from peers and teachers.

The love we strive to show to others derives from the Greek word agape. This greek word for love describes a sacrificial higher love for God and each other. This agape love is rooted in scripture and the ultimate form of agape love was Jesus’s sacrifice on the cross.

As a leadership team we strive to walk in the steps of Jesus. We may not be physically sacrificing ourselves on a cross, but every event, every game, and every conversation we look to humble ourselves and serve others sacrificially.

Carston Saelzler can be reached via email.

For more articles, read PROMO: Valley Children’s annual Kids Day begins online, March 9 and Blossom Trail Cafe gateway to Fresno County ag central.