Senior reflection: Jewel Chandler

FC Lifer shares her Fresno Christian experience, offers teachers encouragement

It is often said that time flies when you’re having fun. Although I always knew there was a lot of truth to this statement, it took my senior year of high school to truly understand it for myself. 

My first time ever visiting a Fresno Christian campus was 12 years ago. At the time there was another campus for K-2nd graders. It was the first semester of kindergarten and my mom and I were touring the campus in hopes of finding a stable learning environment.

[/media-credit] Current senior Jewel Chandler began attending Fresno Christian during kindergarten and remains a lifer at the school.

I remember feeling so nervous when I stepped into Mrs. (Stacey) Ferguson’s kindergarten class with my sparkly Justice hat that played a huge role in my identity during elementary. I didn’t know anyone at the school, and although kindergartners generally have an easier time making friends, I was never a very outgoing person. 

My concerns quickly shifted into enthusiasm with a warm welcome from students and staff. Despite my quiet persona, I soon learned that making friends at Fresno Christian was as easy as joining a game of double dutch. Little did I know that these new friends at the time were the same people I would spend the majority of my life with. 

Coming into my freshman year of high school, I remember my teachers always encouraging us to try new things and take on challenges in our academics because the next four years were never as long as they seemed. I’m glad I didn’t shrug off this advice and stayed involved with extracurricular activities and school events, utilizing the many opportunities that came my way. 

The Feather was one of those opportunities for me. While I had a natural bent towards English and writing, the class was never on my radar during my first two years in high school. I was definitely familiar with the course as my brother, Daniel, previously worked on the video productions team. I even got to attend one of their annual New York trips where I was able to get an inside look at the work ethic required to be a part of the team, which at the time was a bit intimidating.

[/media-credit] Chandler attended the 2015 Feather trip to New York, visiting the 9/11 Memorial.

As time went on, a few friends talked to me about their experience in The Feather and consistently asked me to comment on their articles. Inspired by their abilities, I became increasingly interested in taking a further look at myself.  With some outside encouragement and a desire to enhance my writing skills, I finally decided to join my junior year of high school… and I am so glad I did.

Even as an extracurricular course, I can say without a doubt that The Feather has taught me some of the most valuable and useful life lessons that I wouldn’t have learned otherwise. From developing communication skills to applying storytelling abilities through an unbiased lens, I know that these skills will continue to carry me throughout college.

I am forever grateful to my advisers Greg Stobbe and Kori James for believing in me and encouraging/requiring me to step out of my place of comfort. Their leadership has made a huge impact on my life.

The second half of my junior year came with a plot twist: COVID-19. No one could have predicted the magnitude of change that would sweep the nation. Schools shut down, movies closed and graduations were canceled.  No matter who you were, 2020 left no one unaffected.

While the virus outbreak could be seen as a negative in more ways than one, looking back I’d rather look at it as a redirection of my time in high school. It brought me closer to my friends and peers because, instead of seeing them every day, I had to be more intentional about keeping in touch with them.  This made returning senior year even more special when we were able to reunite. Try as it did, COVID could not keep me from making the most of my last year. 

[/media-credit] After graduation, Chandler will attend Clovis Community College, expecting to major in English.

As the school year comes to a close, I want to thank all of my teachers from kindergarten to high school. Words cannot describe how thankful I am for your guidance and willingness to go the extra mile to help me succeed. I also want to thank my family and friends for always voicing their support when I needed it the most and pushing me to take chances that have shaped me into the person I am today.

While I could write an essay on the advice I would give to underclassmen as a senior, I would rather leave teachers with this: You may never know how much one word of encouragement or piece of wisdom can affect your students. There are so many that have led me to take on more challenges or helped me make an important decision. They might not ever tell you, but in a room with 25 students, I can promise that your words do not fall on deaf ears.

As difficult as it is to count all my fond moments in high school as memories, I know that the end is just the beginning. I can enter the next chapter of life confidently because of the lessons and values I’ve learned at Fresno Christian.

For other year-end columns, read Senior reflection: Brayden Iest and Senior reflection: Bryce Foshee.

To read more articles by Jewel Chandler, read LRC instructor Kimberly DeWolf continues to assist students after 25 years , Beautify Fresno unites community voices through cleanup projects or check out her profile.

Jewel Chandler can be reached via Twitter and via email.