Tri-sport athlete Brad Cheney chases his dream

[/media-credit] Senior Brad Cheney leads teammates on three school teams and club soccer.

Senior Brad Cheney, is looking to pursue his dreams of soccer at the next level in college. Cheney transferred to Fresno Christian from Clovis High his sophomore year looking for a more in-depth Christian education.

As a three sport athlete, Cheney plays football, baseball and soccer. Beginning at the age of six, soccer quickly became his passion. The intensity on the field is what continues to drive his interest with a hope of playing at the collegiate level.

“I decided I wanted to play soccer my freshman year of high school,” Cheney said. “At that point it was between soccer and football, and I think I made the right choice.”

Every collegiate hopeful works towards being recognized and catching the attention of possible teams and scholarships. This process begins early with joining club soccer teams and participating in multiple tournaments. However, the distance athletes travel for their goal can be exhausting while being a student.

In order for high school athletes to be considered to be able to play at the collegiate level there is a physical standard to meet. The combination of height and weight helps him to be able to pass what Cheney calls the “eye test”.

“God has blessed me to be able to pass the eye test, so one of the main things I did was going to a lot of tournaments so I can get as many coaches as possible to see me.”

Cheney’s club soccer coach of two years, Ivan Janssens,  believes Cheney to be a, “Physical specimen with a good head on his shoulders.”

“His attitude and work ethic make him stand out. He has a substantial amount of grit.” Janssens said, “He’s a good guy and a great teammate. There are many ways you can play soccer and he makes sure to play the way we tell him to.”

One particular experience elevated his goals during his sophomore year.

[/media-credit] Cheney has been playing soccer since he was six years old and hopes to continue in college.

“One of my favorite moments from soccer was winning the Garces tournament my sophomore year,” Cheney said. “It was a big tournament and it helped catch the attention of college coaches.”

Not only do the players engage in several different soccer games over the course of a weekend but the team bonding off the field creates memories that last forever.

“During the tournament there are so many memories,” Cheney said.”One of the funniest moments was in the hotel with his teammates for the gift exchange. I remember I gave someone a summer sausage and everyone started busting up laughing.”

Cheney is looking to have a big senior year for school and his club soccer team. Last year, FC came up short in the championship to Sierra Pacific 2-0. But this loss motivates Cheney to win this year’s Valley Championship knowing that this year is necessary to jump start his college career.

In light of the competitive nature of the sport, soccer can be a tough sport and lead to injuries. Throughout his soccer career, Cheney has been fortunate and blessed to not have suffered any major injuries.

“I haven’t had a major injury in my soccer career, thank God. I have had a lot of minor injuries like rolled or fractured ankles.” Cheney said, “I think the thing that gets me through those injuries the most is just my love of the game.”

When it comes to being Cheney’s teammate there is a high level of respect. Jack Rieker, ’23, first played alongside Cheney last year. Rieker who was pretty much born and bred into the soccer world knows a lot about the game and hopes to continue playing after high school as well.

“Brad is the guy who will get fire under his teammates push them to be better on the field,” Rieker said. “He is also the guy who has so much passion for the game he will start to let his emotions get to him before he has a chance to think about it, sometimes forgetting the difference between American  and European football. He will play 110% till the very end. I love playing with him on the pitch and I think he has potential to go a lot further with his soccer career. “

The Fresno Christian soccer season officially begins Nov. 16. Cheney will join his soccer team after the football season concludes with the Valley Championship game, Nov. 19. If you would like to come support the soccer team, season lasts through February. Schedule will have many changes due to weather and lack of referees but MaxPreps will keep everything updated.

To read another profile visit, Rachel Moate builds business amidst high school pressures

Nathan Bridges
Nathan Bridges, Journalist