• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Senior Reflection: Bella Johns

[/media-credit] Senior Bella Johns reflects on the past three years involved in The Feather.

The countdown till graduation draws closer each day which helps me reflect on my journey as a photojournalist. Joining The Feather as a sophomore, the last three years have been filled with thousands of photos, speedy editing, running The Feather Instagram account, busting out photo posts and Starbucks runs.  I can’t help but be filled with bittersweet thoughts.

My passion for photography started long before stepping into the lab or holding a professional camera. You could find me capturing flowers in my backyard with my iphone 4s.  The quality might have been bad, but that didn’t stop the creativity.

My first year on The Feather was a little rough to say the least. Right out of the bat there was pressure, I had to work at a fast pace with high standards. With the guidance of senior editor Avery Jones, I was able to catch on quick which helped give a new sense of purpose, reassurance and skill. By far this was the hardest year which was not even completed due to COVID-19.

[/media-credit] One of Johns’ first photos taken during her first year on the team.

Retuning for a second year, only a small handful of students including myself were veterans. The whole game had changed as if starting from scratch. The only pressure that was given was by me. Throughout the year, I mentored to a group of photo girls which immediately mimicked an editor role without the title.

Even though I was never at Fresno Christian with them, I’ve always been inspired by Kaylie Clem, ’19 and Julia Fikse, ’19. Jones, Clem and Fikse had a determined work ethic, leadership skills and creative shots. As I received the official title of senior editor, I was overwhelmed by my icons and having now to fill their roles.

For my final year, I have focused on being myself and spreading joy on the team. A special shoutout to my team, which was spread out across three classes. I think you could ask anyone on The Feather about me hysterically laughing mid class. I was originally TA, in second period where it shortly became a little family. I could always count on this class to start the day off right. I’m going to miss our laughs, card games, music jams, food reviews and field trips!

[/media-credit] Each year the team changes, but that doesn’t stop the dynamic of this family.

After three years of training, I have taken my camera skills beyond the classroom working with a Canon 6D Mark II camera, 24-70 mm and 70-200 mm lenses. As a second shooter for wedding photography, senior pics, puppies, sports, concerts and so much more, I have set up a side job and made money.

I’m so thankful for my team! This year so many bonds have been made and I have actually found joy in doing tasks. I would like to thank my team for being patient with me and making my last year fun.

As I leave behind this team, I want to share some advice for my two girls going into their third year with The Feather, Taylor Beckworth and Aubrey Graham.

Girls, I’m so proud of you and the journey you have persevered. As you start to take on a leadership role, I want you to have patience. Not everything will go as planned and sometimes you will have to step up and do things you don’t want to. So make the most out of those situations. Communication is one of the essential parts to having a good team which also includes speaking up for yourself. I’m going to miss you all so much! Don’t be afraid to call me if you have any questions or just need to talk.

[/media-credit] Taking photos of the FC boys basketball championship at Selland Arena was one of Johns’ favorite memories.

I would not be where I am today without my amazing advisers. I would like to thank  Greg Stobbe and Kori James . I am incredibly grateful for the amount of time and trust invested into me.

Stobbe, thank you for always giving me new tips on writing and photos that I needed to improve, even when I didn’t want to hear it. With your help, my writing has transformed into more than writing. I’m so glad I got to experience your joy when you received the Charles R. O’Malley award and how much you have impacted others. I missed your presence in the lab this year, but we’ll stay in touch!

James, where do I even start. I’m so grateful to have gotten to grow closer with you these past three years both as an adviser and my auntie. You continue to impress me with everything you are able to manage on your plate. Thank you for always pushing me to do my best and challenge myself. You showed me that anything is possible that I put my mind to. I’m going to miss you so much!

If you’re looking for a new challenge or a way to push yourself, this is definitely the right program for you. In the beginning, it will seem a lot because this is completely new to you. The first year is always the hardest, so I would advise you to stick with it for at least two years. It’s one of  the hardest things I’ve done, but I’ve gained so much from this team that have helped me grow as a person and will stick with me forever.

In the Fall of 2022, Johns will be attending Grand Canyon University where she will use her Feather skills to study business marketing and advertising. 

For more Feather photos, visit media, photos 2021-22.

The slideshow below contains some of Johns’ favorite images throughout the last three years on The Feather