Fashion through the decades

[/media-credit] The infographic above shows examples of outfits from five decades.

In honor of this year’s Homecoming theme, Dreaming Through the Decades, The Feather has put together some iconic dated trends inspired by Monday’s decade outfits, featuring fits from the fifties through the nineties.

50s

In the 1950s, girls’ fashion featured dresses and skirts. Poodle skirts, fluffy skirts, and pencil skirts were popular choices during the decade. For both guys and girls, tucked-in button-ups were very popular. Guys wore sweaters and slacks, or sometimes the Greaser style, featuring leather jackets with white shirts and jeans, and greased back hair. Hallmarks of 50s fashion include Marylin Monroe and Elvis Presley.

60s

The sixties is known to some as the beginning of the peace-loving hippie generation, highlighting the iconic hippie-bohemian style: tie-dye, bell bottoms, and beads. Other trendy choices included earthy tones (like brown and orange), cheetah print and polka dot patterns. Some fashion influences of the 60s include First Lady Jackie Kennedy and music groups like The Supremes, Beatles and Rolling Stones. 

[/media-credit] Cole Blanchfield, ’24, shows off his 70’s themed outfit for “Millennium Monday”, Sept. 19.

70s

During the seventies, the peace-loving trend only grew as well as the start of the disco era. Big fads included bell bottoms and sleeves, beaded jewelry, head scarves, bold jumpsuits and even bolder hair. Psychedelic, floral, and tie-dye patterns were huge, as well as accessorizing with circular glasses and feathers. Musical celebrities like Stevie Nicks and John Lennon and Disco groups such as Saturday Night Fever were at the forefront of fashion.

80s

[/media-credit] Marshall Goldsborough, ’23, dresses head to toe in eighties attire, Sept. 19.

The eighties are synonymous to some with neon. The fashion of the decade was bright and bold. Sweaters, parachute pants, and bright colors were popular choices for the decade. Some other trendy outfits were punk fashion, featuring leather jackets and edgy hairstyles. MTV (Music Television) and Popular celebrities including Madonna and Michael Jackson greatly influenced fashion.

90s

The nineties was the peak of punk and grunge fashion, with baggy jeans and band tees. Popular trends included flannels, long silk dresses with sheer tights, doc martens, and chains. Fanny packs, bomber jackets, and bedazzled belts were also trending. Some of the many fashion influences of the 90s span from grunge artists like Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Green Day to TV shows and movies like Friends and Clueless.

To read more from The Feather, go to ’22-23 Homecoming Day One recap or ’22-23 Homecoming Day Three recap.