Annual 9/11 Memorial honors fallen heroes, unites community

Clovis holds fourth annual 9/11 memorial

The September 11 attacks on the Twin Towers were a historic event for high school students, and an emotional memory to millions of Americans. This tragedy, known as 9/11, was a direct attack against Americans and their country, killing 2,977 people in the process.

[/media-credit] Fallen heroes honored at memorial, Sept. 11.

The heartbreaking event deserves to be memorialized by the American people to honor those lost, either from the direct attack or those who died brave heroes. This is the center focus of Clovis 9/11 Memorial and Museum.

Retired Officer James Olson and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum Committee displayed their devotion to honoring and remembering the Americans who lost theirs lives even through the rose of the COVID-19 pandemic. Even though their ceremony was put on hold, they spread their message of honor and remembrance by taking advantage of social media platforms.

“We did something to still remember those who lost their lives,” Olsen said. “So that folks will know we do not forget. We wanted to let the people in America know that we don’t forget.”

American high school students born before the attacks are annually reminded they live in a country that was forever changed at 8:46 a.m., Sept. 11, 2001. Others, like mother of two and wife of a ranked officer, Whitney McFarland, first-handedly witnessed the shift in the American life.

“There was a big patriotic push after 9/11,” McFarland said. “I saw so many people I knew from that day like ‘Oh, I’m gonna enlist,’ ‘I’m gonna be cop,’ ‘I’m gonna be a firefighter.’ Deciding that was the catalyst for what they were going to do with their lives, seeing this is what the world needs, this is what our country needs.”

The song lyric, “To appreciate the sun you gotta know what rain is” from J. Cole’s “I’m Coming Home” represents retired Clovis Fire Captain Jim Stemler’s mindset of the painful memory of 9/11.

“Another thing we like to focus on is September 12,” Stemler said. “Now what happened on September 11, everybody was devastated and shocked. But when we woke up on September 12 the spirit of America was truly united. What I mean by that there was no more political redirect, no republicans, democrats, religion, race. None of that stuff mattered anymore. We were for the first time in a long time a united nation.”

[/media-credit] The 9/11 Memorial was establish “To Never Forget” the bravery and sacrifice of Sept. 11, 2001.

The attacks on the Pentagon, Twin Towers and the World Trade Center affected not only personal lives but the careers of many. Officer Janette Olson joined the Fresno Police Force, following the precedent of her father, around the time of the attacks.

“Its just really important to know what we do matters.” said Olson. “What we do can affect our life in a split second.”

After attending the Sunday morning ceremony, junior Madison Gallegos realized that very idea while hearing a dispatch call an officer made that day.

“No day is promised,” Gallegos said. “Live life to the fullest and don’t worry too much about other things.”

The 9/11 attacks taking the lives of many Americans is a country-wide reminder to live in the now and to appreciate the time we are given with loved ones.

You can help the Clovis Memorial and Museum by donating or becoming a sponsor.

To read more from The Feather, go to 2022 homecoming court winners or RECAP: Senior Retreat.

Slide Show images from 2022 9/11 memorial tribute by Mallory Friesen

Miracle Neal
Miracle Neal, Editor in Chief
Second year Feather Veteran, Miracle Neal is a Senior, lifer, and varsity girls soccer captain at Fresno Christian Schools. Neal fully devotes herself to her work, proving to be a hard-working person as she juggles an AP class, college classes at Clovis Community, and playing with the Albion Soccer Club. She continues her journey with The Feather to further develop confidence and people skills she hopes to apply in her future profession as a pediatrician. In her free time, she enjoys indulging in psychology books trying to grasp how her mind and others function.