• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

’22-23 AP classes overview

AP classes may be useful for students’ future

As the school year commences, students adjust to their new classes and for some, new challenges in Advanced Placement courses. Fresno Christian currently offers seven AP classes for all students except freshmen. These courses include Calculus, Statistics, European History, U.S. History, Language Composition, Literature Composition and Biology. 

[/media-credit] Natalie Sullivan, ’25, takes her first AP class, European history.

Some AP Courses such as History and English alternate each year allowing for variety as students move through high school. 81 students are currently enrolled in four available classes for the 2022-23 school year. 

Amanda Johnson, ‘23, is currently enrolled in two AP classes, she has already taken the final exams three times. 

“I’m constantly working from the time I get home to even occasionally in the morning, it’s a big commitment,” Johnson said. 

Chemistry, Calculus, and Statistics teacher, Scott Bucher, is adamant that his class is not for every student. The classes are a serious responsibility that takes a dedicated academic student with requirements that are demanding.  

Bucher said, “To join my class you need to have a great recommendation from Mrs. Counts, and have previous experience or knowledge of Trigonometry, Calculus, and Exponential Logarithmic Functions.”

Stephanie Hoffman, Language Composition and Literature Composition teacher acknowledges the commitment AP classes requires, and recommends students with a good work ethic to join her class.

“If you join this class you need to have a mindset of growth, wanting to learn and ready yourself for your future in college,” said Hoffman.

Silas Emerian, ‘23 recommends students to join AP Literature Composition that want to improve on writing and discipline.

“I believe that Language and Composition is beneficial because it teaches students how to be exceptional writers, strict with our work, diligent and follow up with our assignments.”

Even though a commitment, Advanced Placements can be lively and exciting. 

Jacob Cantu teaches AP Biology he has planned exciting activities and projects for the future.

[/media-credit] Cantu teaches for his second year at Fresno Christian.

“One project we will do at the end of the year is the gel electrophoresis where we look at a suspect’s DNA and we will match it to the criminal,” Cantu said. “We will also change bacteria’s DNA and make it bioluminescent.”

Biology isn’t the only AP class participating in something exciting. AP Euro teacher and advanced digital media advisor, Kori James, likes to think bigger. 

“This year the school is offering an international trip to present and old AP Euro students along with French students,” James said. “We will be going to England and France for ten days during spring break to all the tourist attractions such as Big Ben, the Palace of Versailles, the beaches of Normandy, the Michael Monastery, Stonehenge, and many more.”  

Advanced placements are great learning opportunities for any student who wants to better themself for their future and prepare for their journey through college.

Some benefits of taking AP classes 

• GPA point boost per class
  • College application looks more appealing than other non-AP applicants
  • Prepares you for college

To learn more about the benefits of AP classes read The pros and cons of taking an AP class. 

For more information on AP classes, contact Evangelina Escovedo via email, at [email protected].