The pros and cons of taking an AP class

The relevance of Advance Placement classes today

[/media-credit] Advanced Placement classes help students prepare for college by providing them with college level curriculum.

In the world of education, skill and focus are key for success. Students who want to challenge themselves and potentially raise an eyebrow in the college world take Advanced Placement classes in high school. These AP classes are college courses for a high school classroom.

These classes challenge students to critically think and improve their problem solving scenarios, but are they still relevant for college? Most colleges now make students take their own college course, discarding the high school course. So this raises the question; Are AP classes still relevant?

Evangelina Tello is the academic advisor at FC. She explains why AP classes should be taken and how they help students. She also mentioned what colleges look for in students.

“I believe AP classes are still relevant,” Tello said. “They challenge the students academically and at the end of the school year there are the AP tests that students are welcome to take. If they pass with a three or higher they are granted college credit. It’s really awesome because once they graduate into college they can use that college credit towards their bachelors degree.”

“It’s a really cool opportunity that students should take advantage of,” Tello continued. “Universities, besides looking at AP classes, are looking at the students overall. They look at how the student was involved on campus, in clubs, or in their community. They want to see a students as a whole.”

In an article on StudyPoint.com, a one-to-one, in-home test prep and academic tutoring program, the editor wrote on the topic of AP classes. It mentioned, “AP classes will also improve intelligence. It will improve writing skills, challenge students to think critically and help students to face problems better. AP students learn to guide themselves through the academic mountains in college courses.”

Fresno Christian Schools offers a variety of AP classes with some on a rotation. These include AP U.S. History, AP European History, AP Literature and Composition, AP Language and Composition, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB and AP Statistics.

Joey Huang, ’18, is taking three AP classes. Her courses are AP Calculus, AP U.S. History and AP Literature and Composition. She explained why it is important as a student to take AP classes.

“I do believe that AP classes play a huge role in high school academics,” Huang said.  “It is essential for students with different interests and want to pursue deeper. Personally, I find AP classes more advanced and the knowledge very satisfying to learn. These classes presented great challenge of time management, but pushed me to be more self-disciplined and hardworking.”

[/media-credit] Joey Huang, ‘18, has enrolled in three AP classes this school year.

Besides teaching biology and zoology, Dr. Karen Walters also teaches AP biology. She mentioned h0w taking AP classes will affect students in the long term, building knowledge and saving time.

“AP classes are definitely relevant,” Walters said. “High school is a great time to explore subjects that you interest you. Students are making life choices about colleges, careers and life paths. The more exposure to different areas of study the better. I think it is important that high schools offer a chance for students to explore their interests and talents beyond the introductory level.

“The nice thing about the AP classes is that the curriculum is standardized nationwide,” Walters continued. “It is more than just an honors class; it is truly a college-level experience. AP classes expand student’s education greatly and give them a taste of that field of study. For example, if a student is interested in medicine, maybe heading toward nursing or even to become a surgeon, AP biology gives them exposure to the material at a much higher level than basic biology. If a student loves AP biology, they will have more confidence to pursue that field. The same is true for other AP classes such as literature or history.

But there are cons to enrolling in AP classes as well. Some colleges will not allow AP classes to count as college credit at their campus. They might prefer students to take their course on the subject. Honors classes can also take the place of the intellectual feat of AP classes.

Denise Pope is a senior lecturer at the Stanford Graduate School of Education. Pope expressed how AP classes can not always help students in college, but honors courses can.

“Colleges don’t always accept the courses for college credit,” Pope said. “Many students end up repeating the course in college anyway, and you can run the risk of memorizing material for a test versus delving into a subject and exploring it in an enriching way. Sometimes an honors course at a high school is actually a better option for rigorous and engaging learning.”

[/media-credit] Evangelina Tello advises students academically and gives them guidance through the stress of college preparation.
John Tierney from The Atlantic explains why he believes that AP classes may not be for every student. Tierney is also a former professor of American government at Boston College.

“To me, the most serious count against Advanced Placement courses is that the AP curriculum leads to rigid stultification,” Teirney said. “A kind of mindless genuflection to a prescribed plan of study that squelches creativity and free inquiry. The courses cover too much material and do so too quickly and superficially. In short, AP courses are a forced march through a preordained subject, leaving no time for a high-school teacher to take her or his students down some path of mutual interest. The AP classroom is where intellectual curiosity goes to die.”

So AP classes may not be the answer or relevant for all students heading to university. It all comes down to what an ideal students want for their future. If the college they plan on going to accepts their AP credit, the class may be worthwhile. But AP classes also build knowledge and skill that greatly increase a student’s education. The real question students need to ask is, ‘are AP classes really relevant for me?’

Carston Saelzler can be reached via email.