Monterey Bay Aquarium brings waves to visitors

Students explore the wonder of ocean exhibits
Monterey+Bay+Aquarium+houses+over+eight+different+species+of+jellyfish%2C+including+the+Purple+Striped+jellyfish.+
Erin Poudrier
Monterey Bay Aquarium houses over eight different species of jellyfish, including the Purple Striped jellyfish.

As you drive up to Monterey Bay Aquarium, your eyes meet the big ocean-blue logo on the gray concrete wall. You hear waves crashing against the seashore nearby, while the aroma of blooming flowers dances in the air. The salty mist makes it all more real. What makes this aquarium unique is that it sits right on the Pacific Coast.

Monterey Bay Aquarium has 10 different exhibits with many types of sea creatures. Their newest exhibit is called “Into The Deep” and includes sea creatures like the Apple Anemone, Flapjack Octopus and Japanese Spider Crab.

Fun fact, Japanese spider crabs can live from 50-100 years.(Erin Poudrier)

Ava Lee, ‘27, went to Monterey Bay Aquarium for the first time in third grade and went back over spring break. She saw that they had added the exhibit “Into The Deep” and she really liked it.

“They added animals from the really deep part of the ocean,” Lee said. I really liked the big Japanese crabs.”

She especially loved the glofish, bulbfish and big Japanese crabs. Lee is excited to go back. Lee really likes otters along with seeing them get trained.

Isabel Ramos, ‘27, explored the aquarium twice and loves to see the sea otters every time she goes.

“[The otters are] so cute, look how fluffy they are in the water,” Ramos said.

There are many other exhibits like the “Kelp Forest” with 28-foot kelp, the “Coral Reef” with a kaleidoscope of fish and coral and the “Sea Otters” with the otters and their tricks.

Scuba diver suits up to clean kelp forest from the inside. (Erin Poudrier)

Senior Aquarist Kelsey Barker has been working at the Monterey Bay Aquarium for 15 years. She and her colleagues need to detangle the kelp so that it doesn’t die. Kelp is critical to making the animals in the kelp forest feel like they’re in their natural environment.When kelp gets tangled it cannot flourish.

”So detangling it honestly is a little bit similar to brushing your hair,” Barker said. “We’re dealing with living algae so we want to make extra sure that everything’s got room to breathe, got water moving around it, and all that stuff.”

The aquarium also has two gift shops and a cafe. One shop  caters to kids with more picture books and stuffed animals. Then one for teens and adults with some clothes like sweatshirts and shirts along with other stuff like ornaments and plates and cups. The aquarium also has a cafe with different kinds of food and desserts with lunch options and a sweet treat for later.

Monterey Bay Aquarium has a variety of tickets and memberships:

Tickets:

• The children’s tickets: $44.95, the age ranges from five to 12 with four and under being free.
  • The youth tickets: $49.95,the ages are 13-17,
  • The adult tickets: $59.95, the ages are 18-69.
  • The seniors tickets: $49.95, the age is 70 and up.

Memberships:

Clown fish swim through their habitat engulfed in anemone. (Erin Poudrier)
  •  Ocean advocates: $500, two designated adults, children or grandchildren, two guest cards, invitations to special exhibit previews and passes for behind the scenes tour.
  • The family membership: $295, two designated adults and your children and grandchildren.
  • The individual membership: $125, one adult.
  • The senior membership: $75, one adult over 70 or 2 adults over 70 for $150.
  • The student Membership: $75, one student with student ID or two students with student ID.

All memberships come with access to the aquarium live.

Aquarium live is when you become a member, the aquarium emails you when there are events or when they’re training the animals you get to see them live in action.

Monterey Bay Aquarium has been around for 40 years and is ready to keep going for as long as they can. Make sure to go visit the aquarium when you can.

To read more from The Feather visit 2024 end of year schedule or PROMO: Drama prepares for spring musical