Color guard receives first at opening competition

Madeleine Durham ’26 and Ryleigh Ferris ’28 go to receive the 1st place trophy, Jan. 27.

Fresno Christian Color guard competes in their first of four competitions of the ’23-24 season, Jan. 27. The team surpasses three other schools in their division, and leaves with the 1st place trophy. Competing at Lemoore High School, FC Guard performs against Farmersville, El Diamante, and Liberty High Schools. The determined girls need to remain steady as they will compete against ten schools in the next competition, Feb. 17.

The team has been working on their routine since late September, learning pieces that use of sabres, rifles, and flags, which are all equipment common in Color guard. Incorporated into the winter show were features from their football half-time shows. Their performance displayed the first minute and a half of “The Echoes of You”. The show pays homage to lost loved ones of the Guard’s members with the tribute song Clouds by Before You Exit

Consisting of four high school students and seven middle school students, many of whom are new to performing and the art itself, the team garnered their first win of the season. Under the direction of Coach Vanessa Hinojosa, the girls are learning not only the basics but some advanced skills. Hinojosa, who began coaching at Fresno Christian back in the ’21-’22 season, continues to push the girls to perform their best during practice and competitions.

The next three shows will feature costumes and props, which are in the making by FCS Band Director Lindsey Clarno. These show dates include Feb. 17; March 2; and the Championships on April 6 or 7. The determined girls aim to receive gold again at their next competition, Feb. 17.

To read more from The Feather visit, Students produce award-winning yearbook and 100th day of school.

For more photos visit The Feather Media page.