FIFA World Cup: Elimination Stage

[/media-credit] Jakob Rieker, ’23, no longer believes Argentina will win the world cup.

Last week the final group stage games in the FIFA World Cup were played. Intense matches and unexpected victories made the group stage truly anyone’s game. Only four games determine which country will win the tournament.

In total, 16 teams passed on to the next stage. The teams include Senegal, Netherlands, England, USA, Argentina, Poland, France, Australia, Spain, Japan, Croatia, Morocco, Brazil, Switzerland, South Korea, and Portugal. 

Robert Foshee, a high school leadership teacher, shares his experience watching the World Cup.  

“There were a lot of unexpected finishes in games in the early rounds,” Foshee said. “Like Japan vs. Germany, there was no undefeated team with nine points in the game. Even Brazil lost to Cameroon, which was a major upset.”

Now that people have seen each team play, many wonder who will win the tournament. Some people changed their initial opinions due to upsets that occurred during the group stages.

Jakob Rieker, ‘23, soccer captain for FCS and MPL Odyssey, changed opinions on who will come out victorious in this tournament.

“I don’t think it will be Argentina,” Rieker said.“I would say France has a good shot at winning the World Cup. There are still a lot of good teams. I see them beating both Poland and England.”

As December 18th slowly approaches, soccer fans from around the world gather in anticipation to see who will be the winner of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

Comment down below on who you think will win the 2022 World Cup.

To read more from The Feather, go to Fentanyl crisis impacts teens, disregards stereotypes or  College application process encouragement.

For more photos, visit the Media page.