• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Senior Reflection: Micah Friesen

I joined TheFeather at the tail end of one of the best years to come through this program in my opinion. In 2019 I joined the feather as a journalist despite not enjoying writing, being told it would be smart to do one year of writing because of the involvement it has in each aspect of the feather.

I reluctantly joined and was immediately thrown into the mix by advisor Greg Stobbe. He pushed me past my limits and made sure I topped my last writing assignment. I was always intrigued by video and decided to join the video journalism team my second year. There was one drawback, the graduating class of 2020 had already graduated and the team I joined was gone. The team went from 30 to 40 members down to 9, I was one of those 9 alongside 7 first year students. No one was left to teach me so I had to take matters into my own hands.

I slowly built my skills that first year by starting a video series called To Be Known. By the end of the 2020-2021 school year I was familiar with a camera and gimbal setup. By that time the third year of TheFeather came around and was my most productive year. We started to experiment with Instagram and Reels creating short videos with the same quality as bigger videos in fractions of the time.

This is where I developed my love for making videos, I began using my skills outside of school. I saw videos all over Instagram and TikTok of cars and thought I could do that and began my ongoing journey of filming automotive content. I began by filming my truck and friends’ cars and eventually started filming at car shows. I keep growing my skills outside and in school getting better and better. I started my own Instagram and TikTok where I would post my content I created.

My senior year came around and the adviser Kori James asked me to be the video editor and I agreed to the task. I got one of my friends, Mason Petrie to join that year and together we would cover events all while growing our skills even farther. With my final year coming to an end I look back and see all the opportunities the feather presented me with and fun memories that I was blessed to capture.

I want to thank TheFeather for an amazing four years and thank you to my fellow team members. With a special thanks to adviser Kori James aka my mom for pushing me and encouraging me all the way through.

To see more senior reflections visit TheFeatherOnline.

Created by: Micah Friesen