Danny Gokey performs at The Big Fresno Fair

Julia Castiglione

More than 600,000 people enter The Big Fresno Fair each year. People visit the fair for the food, exhibits, rides, and even concerts. Christian artist Danny Gokey performs some of his new hits with opener Ryan Stevenson, Oct.10.

Around 7 p.m., music is heard from the Paul Paul Theater as Ryan Stevenson croons his first song. Stevenson explains how he had his “God moment” at a Christian rock concert seven hours away from home.

When he got into his 20s he went in for a recording session and ended up meeting Toby Mac. They write and record together including the hit song, “Speak Life.” Stevenson’s song list includes “Amadeo (Still My God),” “Mercy in the Dirt,” “Speak Life,” “No Matter What,” “The Gospel,” “With Lifted Hands,” “My 90s” and “Eye of the Storm.”

Gokey takes the stage, singing his first song of the night, “Jesus People.” His band consisted of a trumpet player, pianist, electric guitarist, drummer and saxophone player. The band coordinates choreography with Gokey as he sings, getting the crowd engaged and singing.

Lacy Smith, ’28,  shares how seeing the concert and the uniqueness of the band was exciting.

“My favorite part was when the saxophonist came up and did a solo,” said Smith. “There aren’t really saxophones in most bands so it was cool to hear.”

Halfway through the concert Gokey talks about having hope through life’s struggles, connecting to the crowd. In Gokey’s last couple of songs, he sings in both Spanish and English, appealing to a more diverse group of people in the audience. 

For more photos, visit The Feather Media page.

For more Feather articles, read Movie Review: Barbie breaks box office or Promo: Sadies 2023 Journeys to Magic Mountain