Operation Christmas Child encourages holiday cheer

FCS Community packs gift boxes to ship to struggling families worldwide
Benson Elbert

As October comes to an end, the holiday spirit starts to permeate the air with November approaching. It’s a time of anticipation, not only because Christmas is on the horizon but also because Fresno Christian’s Operation Christmas Child is in full swing. This annual event unites the community in an effort to bring joy to children in need in various parts of the world.

Operation Christmas Child is an initiative by Samaritan’s Purse, which was founded in the 1990s. Their mission is to deliver the gift of Christmas to children who have been affected by disease, natural disasters, conflict, and poverty. Their goal is to ensure that every child receives a delightful and practical gift box each December. To date, they have consistently met this goal, bringing smiles to an estimated total of 178 million children since 1993.

Every year, the Fresno Christian Community sets a goal to participate in this cause. That goal is always met. This year, the high school leadership team has introduced an exciting competition among the grades. Each high school grade will compete against one another to collect these special boxes, and as a reward, there will be a surprise holiday packing party. Students are encouraged to bring their contributions to the high school’s calendar corridor and stack them up for their respective classes.

Students have the opportunity to fill these boxes with a variety of items – from essentials like soaps, brushes, and clothing to more fun and creative items such as toys and drawing supplies. The deadline for this event is Monday, Nov. 13, but it’s important to remember that Samaritan’s Purse welcomes donations year-round.

Your participation will not only support your class but also brighten a child’s Christmas. So, take part and pack a Christmas box!

Here’s a simple guide on how to pack your box:

• Step 1: Select a generic Operation Children’s Box or a small shoe box-sized storage container.
  • Step 2: Choose whether your box is intended for a girl or a boy.
  • Step 3: Adhere to the official packing instructions regarding what can and cannot be included in your box.
  • Step 4: Take a moment to say a prayer for the child who will receive your box.
  • Step 5: Don’t forget to label your box with care.
  • Step 6: When you drop off your box, include $10 for shipping to help your gift reach its destination.

To read more from The Feather visit: 38th Annual Fresno Christian Homecoming or James Webb Telescope furthers science exploration