Senior Reflection: Kemya Hopkins

Natalie Garcia

Goodbyes, no one truly is ready for them when they come. A question that’s been haunting me all of my senior year is how am I supposed to say goodbye to high school? The memories, the events, but more importantly the people and community, I still ponder on this question as I reflect on my time here at Fresno Christian.

I would never have imagined how quickly high school would fly by. I remember junior high Kemya watching the big kids participate in things and thinking how cool they looked and how one day I wanted to be like them. Once I got to high school I was determined to leave a mark on this school by being so involved in everything. I knew the Lord had big plans for me and my future but never would I expect the impact they would have on me. 

Fresno Christian is a special place to me because not only have I grown academically but I’ve learned how to grow spiritually as well. Being spread around the FCS community has been the biggest blessing, and has encouraged me to speak the name of Jesus with pride. Our school chapels will always have a special place in my heart as they have gotten me through some of my darkest times in life. 

I will be attending Grand Canyon University in the fall (Natalie Garcia)

The four years I have spent at Fresno Christian hold some of my favorite memories, with most of them coming from student leadership. I have been in student leadership for three years and have been in ASB for two. Being in leadership has helped me grow in many different ways, I have learned more about myself in that class spiritually and mentally. The leadership team has been a family to me, starting as a sophomore I always felt encouraged and loved by the seniors on the team, and being a senior now I revel in the bonds I have made with the underclassmen. 

During my time on this campus, I have participated in more things than I can count. Here are a few, CSF, Calvin Crest leader, Middle school small group leader, Homecoming court, ASB, journalism, and sister-to-sister. 

I joined the Feather journalism team, in my sophomore year of high school. The Feather has given me so many opportunities to grow and be more confident in myself. I’m so grateful to have a team that pushes each other to do our best while also always having time for fun.

Having never experienced a class like the Feather before, I went into it as a timid and nervous rookie. I remember sitting down in the lab on my first day thinking how nerve-racking to be in a room with an award-winning team that captures everything on this campus. My mind went blank as soon as I met the advisors Kori James and Greg Stobbe. I start thinking about what I should say and how not to sound stupid in front of them. Immediately I felt the pressure ease off as they talked to me in an energetic and fun way, by being so welcoming I felt comfortable being let into this family.  

A prominent moment in The Feather for me was when James came up to me during my sophomore year and we talked about what was ahead for me. She threw out suggestions left and right and then she asked me if I wanted to start a series, nervous at first I was ready to take on this task. James came to me and asks what if I did a challenge series, completing things I have never done before? I loved the idea as I thought how fun it would be to take students along challenges with me.

My first challenge was set as I would have to talk to a senior I didn’t know I remember feeling so shy and scared to talk to someone one-on-one let alone a senior! My first interview went so smoothly as I remember James telling me to relax and to trust the training process. Fast forward and the series becomes a hit, and would continue until the middle of my junior year. I have had the privilege of getting to know new people and trying new things through that experience and it helped me get my foot in the door as a Feather writer. 

I want to thank Kori James for always pushing me to do my best even if I thought my best was limited. Thank you for believing in me throughout my high school career, whether you were my mentor or advisor you always saw the best in me and gave me the confidence to push through some of the most difficult times. Thank you for always getting me out of my comfort zone and trying new things even when I didn’t want to. I couldn’t imagine a better woman to have as an advisor than you, seeping confidence in everything you do your never-give-up attitude is the heart of this team. 

Kori James has been my mentor for three years. (courtesy of Kemya Hopkins )

I also want to thank the hardest worker I know, our senior editor-in-chief, and my best friend Miracle Neal. Thank you for stepping up into this new role and taking care of this team. I am so proud of everything you have accomplished in just two years, you inspire me every day to work hard and become the best writer. Without you, The Feather wouldn’t be the same, the articles you produce are so eye-catching to read and your work ethic is truly one of a kind.

Lastly, I want to thank sophomores Danielle Arndt and Natalie Garcia. Without you girls, I wouldn’t have found a better motivator for trying my best, thank you for letting me teach you the ways of this team and letting me watch you grow. I am so proud of you and everything you have accomplished on this team, you both have become such prominent members and have come into your own both as a writer and photojournalist. I can’t wait to come visit you and see what’s in store for you, thank you for being like little sisters to me.

Me and sophomores Danielle Ardnt and Natalie Garcia at spring formal. (courtesy of Kemya Hopkins)

Being a part of The Feather has been a long incredible journey, this year I couldn’t have had a better ending to this very long chapter. Throughout my time on the team, I have learned many new skills and gained confidence in myself with interviewing people as well as becoming a better writer.

As I leave Fresno Christian, with me I take the memories and tools James has helped put in my tool belt. Saying goodbye to this school will be difficult as I have grown up here in many ways, it’s my home away from home. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for the next chapter in my life but will always remember this school and the memories made. I’ll miss you dearly FCS!!

To read more senior reflections go to Senior Reflection: Chloe McDonald or Senior Reflection: Miracle Neal