Girls' soccer earns 2012 playoff birth (VIDEO)

For the first time in four years, the FC girls varsity soccer team has made it to playoffs, scheduled to take place Feb. 15 against the Firebaugh Eagles at 6 p.m.

The FC Eagles will travel to face Firebaugh in the first round of playoffs; each game in playoffs is a one-round elimination.

Last year the 2011 Eagles went 1-15-1 overall, playing in the West Sequoia League. This year, the Eagles earned a 8-12-1 record. First year coach Tony Martinez seems to have turned the program around despite the squad fielding only two seniors and relying on nine freshman.

“I am excited about the playoffs because it has been a long time since this team has gone that far,” coach Martinez said. “The girls really worked this year and deserve a chance to show what hard work can accomplish. I am confident we will do well in the playoffs. I am honored to be a part of this team.”

No. 9 FC will face No. 8 Firebaugh for the second time this year. The Eagles played each other Dec. 3, 2011, and Firebaugh defeated FC in PKs, 2-0, in the Fowler Lions Tournament.

The Eagles are led by freshman Mackenzie Devereaux who leads FC with 4 goals. Senior Brooke Stobbe has 3 goals and four others have 2 goals. Stobbe and fellow senior GeeHyun Park were honored in the last home game against Caruthers, Feb. 10.

“I am glad that our hard work and effort paid off this season, and that we have overcome last year’s season,” Gabriela Siqueiros, ’15, said. “I cannot express how overjoyed I am that we have nine freshmen on our team this year. I look forward to the next three years of working hard and having fun with them.”

As FC is only losing two seniors the team is poised to remain a contender in the WSL next season. While the 2012 is regarded as a building year for the girls soccer program, the Eagles are hopeful for their playoff match.

“Since I have played soccer from the day I could walk, I have experienced both good and bad teams,” Rosik said. “Last year’s record was embarrassing and I’m grateful for all the players that have continued to put effort into the sport regardless. I’m looking forward to see how the program progress since the team has put in the work to achieve this 180 for FC.”

Tickets for the CIF Central Section Division V playoff game: $6 adults and $4 students with ID. Firebaugh is about a one-hour drive from school so supporters are encouraged to take that into consideration as fog may be an issue due to the rain over the long weekend.

For more information, read The Feather Online