'Beasts of England' entertains campus classrooms (VIDEO)

While some students are embarrassed or even afraid of the chanting within their class room, each year the freshman English class sings “Beasts of England” from George Orwell’s novel, Animal Farm. The group of students, led by teacher Greg Stobbe, sang all during second period to entertain and inform class rooms on the national anthem of the animals living on a farm, May 10.

The novella, first published in 1945, explores the ramifications of communism through an allegory involving the animals at a British farm. Through the song “Beasts of England,” Clementine’s tune is heard, but the lyrics introduce communism ideas to the farm animals within the novel.

In 2000, Stobbe would sing the anthem to his class. By 2003, his freshmen English classes were singing Beasts of England to the office staff and by 2006, the young high schoolers traveled from class to class, performing the anthem to their peers.

Each year the English I and English I Honors classes practice the song beforehand to see who will perform outside of the classroom. The loudest and most animated class this year was the English I class. This is the second year in a row that the class has won, and the third year overall the honors class has lost, out of the 12 years of this annual tradition.

The students can be seen belting out the lyrics in classrooms, offices and hallways all throughout Building Six. Many students dressed up into various costumes or wore animal-like hats and apparel to be more in character with Orwell’s novel.

After the second period class toured a total of six rooms, the freshmen came back to their room to rest after performing the anthem.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @rkphotographyrk. Follow The Feather on Twitter: @thefeather.

For the previous year’s video, check out the April 25, 2012 video, ‘Beasts of England’ 2012 (VIDEO).

For more videos, read the April 27 article, Seaside stories, Day 4 (77 PHOTOS, VIDEO.