Honors Flight returns to Fresno airport (VIDEO)

As Veteran’s Day approaches, the city of Fresno rallies together to show support and admiration for all soldiers around the Central Valley.

After visiting the World War II (WWII) memorial in Washington D.C., 69 WWII veterans returned home, landing in the Fresno Yosemite International Airport through the Honor Flight organization, Oct. 31.

Upon their arrival, hundreds of supporters attending the homecoming, including boy scouts, the Fresno State University band and many family members. The event brought many to tears as the veterans were welcomed with cheering crowds, offering support for the years of service these men gave for their country.

This event is only one of the ways the Central Valley honors veterans. The public is also encouraged to attend the Veteran’s Day Parade, Nov. 11. This parade will be broadcasted world-wide as it is the largest parade west of the Mississippi River.

Veterans who wish to apply for a Central Valley Honor Flight can do so through their web site. Guardian applications, volunteer and donation opportunities are also available on the site as well.

Students are also encouraged to attend the Veteran’s Day Parade by marching alongside the campus band in downtown Fresno at 11 a.m., Nov. 11. The parade begins in front of Fresno’s City Hall. For those who cannot attend the parade, please tune into the Pentagon Channel or Fresno’s NBC affiliate, KSEE 24.

For more stories on veteran stories, visit Hometown Heroes on Facebook or on KMJNow radio. Paul Loeffler hosts a weekly radio show that honors men and women whose service and sacrifice paid for America’s freedom.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

WWII veterans return home by Slidely Slideshow