COMMENTARY: The truth behind modern headlines

Man-rescues-another-man-from-fire
[/media-credit] Headlines across the nation were giving selective praise to their new hero, who was officially identified as Tom Artiaga, during a dramatic house fire rescue.
Yellow Journalism: a term some of us are familiarized with, due to its affiliation with US history. This phrase may trigger an association with the Spanish-American War, which some believe was caused by journalism. Yellow Journalism is simply an exaggerated form of news, created to lure readers and spike profits.

Many historians would credit the Spanish-American war to Yellow Journalism. When the USS Maine was sunk in Havana, newspapers immediately blamed Spain, causing great dissent towards the Spanish. This was a major contributing factor to the beginning of the war, even though it was later discovered that the Spanish did not actually sink the ship.

Although Yellow Journalism was officially given a title during the late 19th century, that does not mean that its use peaked during that time period. Many believe that Yellow Journalism and media go hand-in-hand. Are faulty headlines and quotes still active in today’s morning news?

Recently, Koby Johns, a spokesperson for the Fresno City Fire Department, made a visit to Kori Friesen’s US history classes to educate students on Yellow Journalism and its impacts on media today.

In the month of October, Fresno scored many headlines on nationally-acclaimed papers as a result of a fiery explosion in an apartment complex. Whether given attention or not, fires are a fairly regular occurrence in a city as large as Fresno. So what was it about this particular fire that grabbed the attention of so many hungry media giants? A palpable hero.

A woman walking by during the time of the fire whipped out her phone just in time to capture the whole scene on video, and then proceeded to send her film to local news stations. In the video, a woman who was fortunate enough to escape the flames cries for another less fortunate: her father. Her father is apparently still trapped inside the home, awaiting his heated fate.

While not always spun up with shady intentions or a hunger for profit, Yellow Journalism is like a match in a dry forest; one spark and a wildfire is ablaze. All too often, in this era of mass communication, we believe what we read without hesitation. So, before swallowing up your next news article and restating facts to your friends, take the time to double check your information. — Junior Chloe Mueller

Until an unnamed worker shows up on the scene and ‘risks his life’ to run into the burning building to save the endangered father. Seconds later, we see a man in an LA Dodgers cap running from the scene with a breathing body over his shoulder. In this moment we watch this regular worker turn into a Good Samaritan.

Not surprisingly, the media devoured that angle. Suddenly, Johns, as the representative for the Fresno Fire Department, was struck with a plethora of missed calls and eager texts. This video had gone viral in a matter of days. Headlines across the nation were giving selective praise to their new hero, who was officially identified as Tom Artiaga.

However, this story was spread far and wide before anyone even knew the facts. In fact, with some research and questioning, it became clear that, while Artiaga did act with great nobility, upon further investigation it was discovered that Artiaga never actually entered the burning home, as the video and initial media reports suggest. These two unidentified men were encouraged to stay quiet about their heroic deeds by their employer. News outlets decided to recognize Artiaga as the hero because he appears on the video. By watching the video to the end you will see the two men who also helped rescued the old man.

Even though the headlines don’t match up with witness accounts, Artiaga has earned his five minutes of fame. Not only is he regarded as a local hero, but he was shown off at the Jimmy Kimmel show. Click here to view the Jimmy Kimmel video.

While not always spun up with shady intentions or a hunger for profit, Yellow Journalism is like a match in a dry forest; one spark and a wildfire is ablaze. All too often, in this era of mass communication, we believe what we read without hesitation. So, before swallowing up your next news article and restating facts to your friends, take the time to double check your information. There may be more truth behind modern headlines.

Is Yellow Journalism still a factor of today’s media? Watch the news from different sources and perspectives, read into witness accounts. You decide.

The video below is from ABC30 news station:

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_chloemueller.

For more opinions, read the Dec. 2 article, Ice rink festivities offer Christmas atmosphere.