COMMENTARY: Causes, consequences of Parisien terrorist attack

IMG_6718c
[/media-credit] Junior, Rees Roggenstein, posts political opinions recent world events.
Charlie Hebdo, a controversial French magazine based in Paris was attacked on Jan. 7, 2015, by a group of Muslim extremists. The attack is speculated to be a response to an offensive cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad that the magazine released to the public. Charlie Hebdo has a history of attacking a number of different political and religious groups with their satire; they were also fire bombed by Muslim extremists in 2011 for similar reasons.

Though the magazine and the people of France have the right to freedom of speech, and that right is to be protected, does it validate or excuse Charlie Hebdo’s crass behavior and the violence they incited? No. Freedom comes with responsibility, there is a consequence for the choices each of us make. Freedom without responsibility does not exist, and neither do actions without consequences.

People living in our modern society seemed to have forgotten what freedom is and how it should be practiced. Freedom is now defined as a lack of barriers or lack of restriction. Freedom should be defined by working within standard and fair restrictions that we impose on ourselves. Freedom should always be tempered with self-control and wisdom. Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Freedom without logic, humanity and decency is quite simply destructive. That concept endangers lives, as we have just witnessed with the destruction wrought in Paris. Charlie Hebdo abused its freedom of speech to antagonize and incite a group of people, and the terrorists abused their freedom of choice and took the lives of innocents.

As our ability to know the world and interact with it increases we become more susceptible to outside influences. We must maintain level heads and know the boundaries that we should not cross.

Freedom comes with responsibility, there is a consequence for the choices each of us make. Freedom without responsibility does not exist, and neither do actions without consequences. — Rees Roggenstein

The Parisien terrorist attack perpetrated by the extremists is inexcusable. These mens’ actions and thought process cannot be justified or understood. Though we should all strive to understand and be tolerant of others and their beliefs; we should also practice self-control and not burst into a rage when someone disagrees with us or even mocks us for own beliefs. These men have not been oppressed; they are not victims of circumstance. They are simply narrow-minded murderers, and should pay the price necessary for the blood they spilt.

As students we should learn now that just because we have certain freedoms does not mean we should abuse them. If we start abusing our liberties we could either lose them, or suffer worse consequences. The line between exercising our rights and abusing them is sometimes hard to distinguish, but as a template just remember to act wisely, modestly and respectfully. We do not need to be grotesque, offensive or violent and we never have to stoop to the level of a fool. Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather,  Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @RRoggenstein.

For more opinions, read the Jan. 9 article, COLUMN: Steamboat Springs, Colorado: Winter sport wonderland.