World of Sports: College football transitions to playoffs

OhioState1
[/media-credit] Ohio State Buckeyes

For the first time in history, the college football world experienced a playoff. Not the typical multiple team, multiple division playoff, but a simple four team bracket; taking the top four teams in the nation and letting them play their hearts out.

After years of controversy and attempts to persuade minds to include a college playoff, the voices finally got through. Along with the new format came a new committee. No longer will the weekly AP polls tell the story of football power rankings.

Instead, a special selected playoff committee looks at each team week to week to see who are the best in the nation. While the top 25 teams still get a ranking, it is only the top 4 that get a chance in the playoff.

One reason collegiate football went away from the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) was the chance for smaller, lower conferenced teams to have a shot at the big time. In the format’s first year, small private school Texas Christian University came out and proved its worth, floating inside the top ten all season long. Despite winning their final game by 52, the team failed to land in the nation’s top four and settled for a lowly bowl game.

The four teams that did make it, (4)Ohio State (3)Florida State (2)Oregon and top ranked Alabama had the chance to make history, and they did! Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota from Oregon proved his dominance over previous winner Jameis Winston of Florida State.

While 3rd string quarterback Cardale Jones and Ohio State shocked the world by upsetting Nick Saban and the University of Alabama. Ohio State, with Ezekiel Elliot in the backfield, ran over the Ducks and went on to surprise the nation for the College Playoff trophy.

I can honestly say I have never been a big college football fan. I never liked the idea of ranking teams and bowl games, they just seemed boring to me. However, with the new playoff system, I became a big fan. — Senior Aaron DeWolf

However, looking back on the season, was the playoff and all the hype worth it? The BCS National Championship would have been undefeated Florida State against top ranked Alabama with the old ranking system, and our college football playoff, Oregon v. Ohio State, likely would have been the Rose Bowl.

With the playoff, however, it provides for much more excitement (as any playoff does). Not only is there a literal playoff, but a subliminal one as well. In the weeks leading up the season’s conclusions, top ranked teams are playing for their lives, knowing anyone has a shot in the final weeks to jump up the standing and have a shot at the trophy.

With the BCS, we never saw that. So essentially, though the “playoff” only takes place in January, the playoff really takes place all December long as teams fight to get in.

In addition, in its first year, the playoff allowed for a third string QB and a fourth ranked team to shock the nation and win the National Championship, something that would have never happened before. Initially I wanted TCU to make it over Ohio State, because I did not think a 3rd string QB could compete against such prestigious defenses, but Jones and Urban Myer’s game plan and execution proved me wrong. It just proves the beauty of the playoff that we have never gleaned from past years.

I can honestly say I have never been a big college football fan. I never liked the idea of ranking teams and bowl games, they just seemed boring to me. However, with the new playoff system, I became a big fan. In this world of sports rant, I love it.

In the years to come, as they fine tune the system and people get used to the format, other people will be attracted to the sport outside of just rooting for their alma mater. And hopefully the college fan crowd will increase with every game.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @dewolf14.

For more sports read the Jan. 9 article, Boys and girls Garces tournament sport short.