COMMENTARY: Community reflects on life of Molly Griffin

[/media-credit] Alumna Molly Griffin, ’09, passed away after an auto accident, Feb. 21, and a family friend writes her good-byes.
Dear Fresno Christian community:

On Saturday, February 21st, 2015, Molly Griffin passed on from this life to the next. She is remembered and loved by the FC community, her family, and friends.

Molly Griffin graduated from Fresno Christian in 2009 as an honors student. She knew she wanted to go into the medical field, and decided to go into nursing so she could have more time with family, compared to doctors. She graduated from Fresno State with her nursing degree last spring, and by summer she was working at Madera Community Hospital in the surgical department.

My sister, Abigail Schoettler, ’09, became friends with Molly when Abby transferred to Fresno Christian in 7th grade. By 8th grade, she was in a tight knit group with Molly, Katie White, ’09, and Brittany Schaffer, ’09. Abby and Molly remained close friends until her death.

From being a young girl up until to present time, I remember Molly coming over to my house constantly. Since Madera Community is only 10 minutes from my house, she was over at my house on a regular basis. They talked about boys, build-a-bears, work, college and everything in between; but no matter what the conversation was about, Molly always made it entertaining. I am convinced that if she was not a nurse, she would become a comedian.

Some of my sister’s favorite memories spent with Molly were when Molly and her mother surprised Abby by coming to the house on Christmas morning (Abby’s birthday), going on a missions trip in Mexico and forcing Abby to listen to Phil Collins, and, most importantly, Molly being by Abby’s side no matter what. If Abby had a problem, Molly would be outside our house, even though we lived 35 minutes apart.

In 2007, the Griffin family took a trip to China to adopt a daughter, Paige, from Molly’s suggestion. Molly loved to spoil her younger sister and loved to do little things for her, such as the ‘Elf on the Shelf’ during Christmas time.

Molly was killed February 21st when a drunk driver hit her and her passenger, Emily Krieghoff. Molly died at the scene, while Emily remains in critical condition at the hospital. Molly is survived by her parents, Doug and Doris Griffin, her sister Paige, now 10, and her older brother Joe.

Molly, you are forever remembered by us, the FC community, and from my family; we are more than blessed that you came into our lives in 7th grade. Thank you for being a great friend to my sister Abby and to many others; you are missed greatly. We grieve for your loss, yet rejoice that you are with our Heavenly Father and experience no pain. Rest in Peace, Molly Taylor Griffin.

A funeral in Molly’s remembrance was held Feb. 28 beginning at 10 a.m. at Clovis Hills Community Church. Teacher at FC, Robert Foshee, attended the event and was touched by what he witnessed.

“Hearing her [Molly] mother and father speak touched me,” Foshee said. “The event was standing room only, they filled up Clovis Hills church, which is remarkable for such a young life.”

Thanks for reading,

Macy Victoria

In lieu of flowers, the Griffin family is asking for donations to be made to the Molly Taylor Griffin Nursing Scholarship at Fresno State. Checks should be made payable to the Fresno State Foundation and mailed to 2345 E. San Ramon, M/S MH26, Fresno, CA 93740. Donors may also contribute online here.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @macyyvictoria.

For more opinions, read the Feb. 21 article, COLLEGE CORNER: College Placement Tests