World of Sports: Special teams leads to huge upset

[/media-credit] College football rankings and games surprise audience with unexpected scores.

The Feather would like to introduce the continuation of our new sports column section from last year, with a transition into sports outside of FC. Columnists Nick LeBlanc, and Phillip Christopher will provides a weekly look into the field of professional sports. From MLB to NBA, they discusses what is happening in the world of sports.

For seven long weeks, teams all across America have been competing for the ultimate prize, a trip to Glendale, Arizona, for a chance to play in the National Championship. With half of the season still to go, many teams are on the hot seat. This past weekend four ranked teams lost to unranked teams.

The upsets started on Thursday, Oct. 22, when UCLA beat No. 20 Cal at home, 40-24. Led by freshman quarterback, Josh Rosen, UCLA jumped out to an early 23-3 lead and never looked back. Rosen completed 34 of 47 pass attempts for 399 yards and 3 touchdowns. UCLA’s offense outgunned Cal, 571-397. Cal dropped out of the Top 25.

The upsets continued Saturday when No. 24 Ole Miss upset No. 15 Texas A&M, 23-3. Behind junior receiver Laquon Treadwell‘s five catches for 102 yards and a touchdown, Ole Miss dominated from the opening kick-off. Ole Miss outgained Texas A&M, 471-192, and Ole Miss managed to convert 28 first downs, while Texas A&M only converted 12. Texas A&M is currently not ranked in the Top 25.

The final game of the night did not disappoint as No. 3 Utah took on USC. Utah, a top-five team, is fighting for a spot in the top four for the college playoffs. However, their performance against USC will not help. — Nick LeBlanc, writer

Few games finish with as much excitement as the No. 9 Florida State and Georgia Tech game did. With six seconds left in the game, the game was tied, 16-16, and Florida State line up to kick the game winning field goal. The ball was snapped, the kick went up and it was blocked! Junior Rod Rook-Chungong tipped the ball and it was picked up by sophomore Lance Austin. Instead of falling on the ball, Austin picked it up and weaved through the remaining Florida State defenders and scored a 78-yard touchdown to put Georgia Tech up six and give them the win as time expired. Florida State is now ranked No. 19.

nickleb-bio
[/media-credit] Junior Nick LeBlanc explains the current football upsets being covered by the media.

The final game of the night did not disappoint as No. 3 Utah took on USC. Utah, a top-five team, is fighting for a spot in the top four for the college playoffs. However, their performance against USC will not help. USC topped Utah, 42-24. USC intercepted Utah’s quarterback Travis Wilson four times, three of which were by linebacker Cameron Smith. Utah dropped out of the top 10 and is currently ranked No. 13.

The college football world was mainly talking about these upsets, but two top 10 teams continued to show their dominance. No. 1 Ohio State defeated Rutgers, 49-7. Junior running back Ezekiel Elliott ran all over the Rutgers defense running for 142 yards and two touchdowns. No. 6 Clemson shut out Miami, 58-0. Clemson ran for a total of 416 yards and six touchdowns. The playoffs are approaching fast and with upsets bound to happen any week; no one is safe.

This upcoming week has some exciting games. No. 11 Florida travels to take on Georgia. Without the dominant running game provided by Nick Chubb, I’m excited to see how Georgia moves the ball. Also No. 9 takes on No. 21 Temple. Whenever two ranked teams play each other, a well played game is expected.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 or via email: Nick Leblanc.

For more sports columns, read World of Sports: Say our goodbyes.