Freshmen experience common but still unnerving

The freshmen, some with unsettling nerves, have been feeling uncertainty and confusion as they begin high school.

They have been cornered onto one floor of the building, with nothing but backpacks slung over their shoulders and an overwhelming fear of walking into the wrong classroom.

Regardless of the stereotyped nervous freshmen, some remained confident throughout previous years because of enduring friendships, such as Mary Sargent.

?I didn?t feel nervous on the first day of high school because I?ve been on this campus ever since kindergarten,? Sargent said. ?I was so glad that I had friends to begin with.?

While some make the transition from junior high to high school with difficulty, Sargent pulled it off with ease. With the highest honors in the eighth grade, she certainly did not have to be worried about her grade point average. She even came into high school prepared to play a sport.

?Over the summer, I played volleyball three times a week,? Sargent said. ?I came home every night sore, but I loved it.?

While Sargent has attended this campus since elementary, Jaymes ?Daniel? Kingen is a new freshmen this year. Kingen, from Clark Intermediate School, was not sure what to expect on our campus.

?My mom made me come to this school to try it out,? Kingen said, ?but it?s a lot better than I thought it would be, and I plan on staying here.?

Kingen said he was not nervous on the first day of school, and he has already made a lot of friends within our walls. He even has a favorite time of the day.

?My favorite class is math,? Kingen said. ?I?ve always loved to do math. I also have the goal of joining a lot of sports this year, like football, basketball, soccer, track and baseball.?

Both Sargent and Kingen agree that they as well as the other ninth graders on campus have an interesting year to look forward to with surprises and adjustments still to come.