Page Turners: A List of Cages

A List of Cages cover.

Quick Guide:

Raw and powerful storyline.

First person point of view for both main characters.

Realistic detailing.

A List of Cages captured me the moment I picked it up off the shelf. Originally I picked it for the gorgeous cover art, with stars and a shadow, but the story truly touches the reader. The value of friendship is explored amongst other, more mature themes, such as child abuse and mental illnesses such as ADHD. The perspective switches between two main characters,  Julian and Adam. Both characters carry unique perspectives on their own situations and give a sort of variation to the entirety of the novel. Someone who enjoyed Perks of Being A Wallflower or Looking for Alaska’s darker themes may enjoy this book.

[/media-credit] A List of Cages is Robin Roe’s first novel.

Within some of the chapters there are quite a few swear words, but nothing that over PG-13 ratings when concerning this subject. The entire book is meant for older or more mature teenagers because of the topics covered and the issues that each of the characters face. With short chapters and a plot line that continuously builds upon itself, the reader needs to pay attention to the content covered. This book constantly draws in the audience because of the complexity of the characters and background settings. The coverage of mental illness doesn’t lack, the author, Robin Roe, takes these issues head on. Based off of her own life experience, emotions are raw and realistic, as if reading a journal rather than something fiction. Besides the good coverage of some topics, underage drinking, partying, and mild sexual situations happen periodically in the novel too.

I would not recommend this for readers who are easily affected by child abuse and violence. The story captivates, but it is very hard hitting and realistic. The characters go through multiple traumatic situations that are graphically described, which could be triggering for readers who are more sensitive toward this topic. The impact that the abuse has on the one character is also described in detail. Even through this, readers can take away a lesson that things like this happen in real life. The positive role models that prevail even show real emotions and they support each other, one of the main points I liked.

[/media-credit] Looking for Alaska by John Green is a book similar to Roe’s A List of Cages.

This coming of age novel is one of the ones that will stick with readers years afterward because of the takeaways and the main lessons Roe emphasizes. I am glad I’ve read something so powerful and impactful and since this book came out in early January, I can’t wait to see what others have to say about the details and empowerment that seems to come from the heart.

Roe made a fantastic debut, and with such a powerful first novel, many other readers, including myself can’t wait to see what else comes from her in the near future. I look forward to seeing what the next book published by her contains and I plan on picking it up whenever it comes out.

The book can be purchased online here

This author can be reached on Twitter at @julz_lozano19

For my last book review, read Counting by 7s.