College Corner: Spring semester breakdown

COLUMN: Academic advisor Tello shares key spring dates

[/media-credit] As the spring season begins, seniors begin committing to colleges and underclassmen begin college preparation. Academic advisor Evangelina Tello breaks down key dates for the spring semester.

The planning process for the school year can be a stressful task for some students. Where do you start? What should you be on the lookout for? Below, I have provided an outline month by month on what students should expect for the second half of the school year.

The new year welcomes a fresh start of a new semester. The spring semester is filled with important academic dates for not only just seniors, but all grade levels. The following is a breakdown of monthly tasks high school students should be focused on this spring.

January:

• PSAT scores returned to 9th-11th grade students
  • Second semester CSF applications being accepted
  • SCCCD Orientation make ups

February:

March:

• FAFSA is due for seniors, March 2
  • SCCCD workshop
  • Academic guidance presentations in freshmen, sophomore, and junior English classes
  • Junior and counselor one-on-one meetings
  • CSU’s and UC’s will be providing admittance statuses

April:

• SCCCD workshop
  • Juniors start signing up for SAT or ACT
  • Sophomore and counselor one on one meetings
  • AP pre-administration sessions

May:

• Optional SAT test date for juniors
  • AP Tests
  • Seniors inform FCS on college decision
  • Senior Portfolio Day
  • CSF Award Ceremony
  • FCS Graduation

Students are highly encouraged to take advantage of the visits from the college representatives in Feb. and the ask questions during the guidance presentations in March. For many students this may be their first time hearing about A-G courses, CSU and UC application process, and FCS graduation requirements. It is important students understand the difference between university admission requirements and high school graduation requirements.

For seniors the FAFSA deadline is quickly approaching! This is one of the last deadlines to submit any type of application for juniors. For seniors who are still on the fence to submit the application admission counselors from Point Loma Nazarene and Biola University encourage students to consider submitting the application.

Cristina Rangel from Point Loma Nazarene stressed the importance of submitting the application early.

“Don’t delay, fill out the FAFSA today!” Rangel said. “As cheesy as this may sound, it’s true! Make sure you don’t procrastinate on the FAFSA because it is such an important part of your college experience.

[/media-credit] Tello urges seniors to file the FAFSA to find out if students qualify for federal financial aid.

“Whether you think your family is eligible for aid such as grants,” Rangel continued, “know that every school that you apply to will need to see your FAFSA information in order to help provide you with the most accurate financial aid package they can offer.”

Biola University’s admissions counselor, Emily Byrd, shared how to make your college experience more affordable.

FAFSA is an important part to the college admissions process – for any university,” Byrd said. “By applying for FAFSA, you are able to see if you are eligible for grants (financial aid awards that do not need to be repaid) and/or direct loans from the government.

“Filing a FAFSA also can indicate to a university what need you have as a student and allows them to see what other aid you might be eligible for through the university,” Byrd continued. “In short, this is an important step to making your dream college more affordable!”

I recommend students to set academic goals if they have not already yet. As of now, 2019 is a blank slate and it is never too early or too late to start college planning, creating study habits, or trying out new things! If students need assistance or guidance regarding their educational planning they are more than welcome to meet with their academic counselor, Evangelina Tello.

For more college corners, read College Corner: Juniors utilize your Christmas break and College Corner: UC & CSU application advice.

Evangelina Tello can be reached via email.