College Corner: An almost normal application season

The class of 2022’s application experience is not only going to be different from last year’s class but also the senior class of 2020. This season there were college fairs,application workshops, and campus visits. This experience is already new for this senior class but it’s definitely different from the previous years before.

[/media-credit] The college application process can be stressful and overwhelming for many high school students.

This year there was a split of virtual and in person college fairs. The Fresno County College Fair decided to go virtual again this year. Students were given a link to connect with representatives from UC’s, CSU’s, community colleges, military branches, and get FAFSA questions answered. 

The Fresno County Christian College Fair hosted by NACCAP (North American Coalition for Christian Admissions Professionals) hosted an in-person college fair which was located in the PC gym. This fair was open to all grade levels and schools within the county. This gave students and parents an advantage to connect with admission representatives in person.

Application workshops are beneficial for students to receive assistance with the process while also having the opportunity to ask questions to the admissions counselors. This year the community college representatives from SCCCD participated in our application workshop and provided a presentation to the seniors on our campus. 

The representatives from CSU were not able to participate in an in person application workshop but provided virtual options. Even though some colleges are not able to visit high school campuses yet, they are providing resources to seniors and parents to still be informed and feel supported.

Due to the pandemic, many colleges and universities produced creative ways for students to virtually visit their campuses since they were not accepting in person visits or tours. As Fresno Christian’s academic counselor, I encourage each senior class to visit campuses especially if they are going to eat and live there for four years.

This fall, Grand Canyon University continued their fly in visits and invited seniors to stay the night in their dorms and get a feel of college life. Students were able to connect with other seniors visiting, attend lectures, and participate in a campus tour. Fresno Pacific used to offer overnight visits but at this time they are having visits or events that are one day only.

Whether events were virtual or in person I’m thankful this senior class participated in many events to prepare themselves for their post high school plans.

For the previous College Corner article, read College Corner: Plans, COVID-19, changes admissions significant. To continue reading The Feather Online read KNP Complex Fire takes over Sequoia National Park, and Jake’s ‘Blue Devil’.