College Corner: Plans, COVID-19, changes to admissions significant

Academic advisor challenges seniors to adjust

[/media-credit] FC academic advisor Evangelina Escovedo shares advice for seniors navigating change in the college admission process, Nov. 9.

The college admission process presents challenges for the class of 2021 like none other before. Not only are seniors applying to colleges, FAFSA, and scholarships for the first time, but they have to take on additional changes due to COVID-19.

One of the main admission requirements for four-year universities is providing a SAT or ACT score. However, UCs and CSUs have announced that they will be waiving this requirement due to the numerous cancellations of tests and testing locations. Many private universities have also announced that they are waiving this requirement.

During the fall semester, Fresno Christian usually offers application workshops for seniors that are hosted by community college or CSU representatives. This year colleges decided to cancel all in person workshops and now offer only virtual workshops. 

Fresno Christian still wanted to provide this in-person service to our seniors so an application workshop was offered in English 12 classes. This gave students the opportunity to ask questions and receive one-on-one assistance with the application process. All other college fairs have been cancelled on the FCS campus but we are already planning for 2021 fall college fairs.

Every fall, Fresno County hosts one of the biggest college fairs for middle school, high school, and transfer students. UCs, CSUs, private schools, community colleges, out of state schools, and military branches all participate for one night to provide information, answer questions, and represent their school or programs. 

Unfortunately, this year the students were not able to attend since the Fresno Area College Night fair turned virtual. Even though they were not able to participate in person, they were able to still join online for various workshops and presentations.

Many universities had to get creative when it came to recruiting students. Since many colleges could not offer college visits, tours, or high schools visits, they created ways for students to still check out their campus.

Under the admission tabs for each college, students can find virtual tours and informative videos. In these virtual tours, campus, dorms, lecture halls, and much more, are listed. 

For example, Grand Canyon University, who would usually fly in seniors for free and host them for two days, are still flying in students for a one-day visit. The university still wants potential students to step on campus and get a short college introduction and experience. However, GCU will not offer overnight trips like in the past.

The 2020-2021 school year is a unique school year for all teachers, administration, and especially students. Seniors need to choose to take on challenges with positive attitudes and determination. Current and future successes will depend on it.

For the previous College Corner article, read College Corner: Academic advisor shares advice for seniors, juniors. Continue reading The Feather Online. Read Should students care about voting and elections? or The Social Dilemma uncovers media impact.