Recap of senior memories

[/media-credit] Seniors traveled to Hume Lake for the annual Senior Retreat, Sept. 22-23.

Although the ending to the 2020 school year took an unexpected turn, many memorable events took place before the coronavirus spread. The Fresno Christian administration decided to close in class school until May 6 due to COVID-19.

The closing of school has caused students to worry about major events they may not get to experience. This problem is most concerning to the senior class, as they wonder whether they will experience their final moments as a high school student. Senior events such as senior trip, graduation and grad night are in the process of being changed to a later date.

Because these final events are being moved, it is easy to forget the memories that were already made earlier this school year. Listed below are special moments the senior class experienced during their final year at Fresno Christian.

Senior Retreat

To kick off the school year, the senior class traveled to Hume Lake Christian Camp for the annual  ‘Senior Retreat’, Sept. 22-23. Senior advisors, Kori Friesen and Robert Foshee, designed this trip to unite the senior class as they headed into their final year of high school together. The 47 students participated in bonding activities such as student-led worship, rope courses, roller blading and bon fires.

[/media-credit] The 2019 Homecoming court was announced at a home football game during halftime.

Homecoming, ‘Game On!’

Homecoming week was filled with dress up days, floating building, princess pageants and king and queen dance battles in anticipation for Homecoming night, Sept. 31-Oct. 4. Going along with the theme of ‘Game On!’, the senior class designed their float to match the baordgame ‘Candyland’ and helped raise money for the Pregnancy Care Center. Congratulations to Kayla Vanderlinden and Braden Bell for being crowned senior princess and prince and to Bekah Micu and Angel Ruelas for being crowned queen and king.

Fall Senior Nights

Volleyball: Megan LeBlanc, Avery Jones, Kayla Vanderlinden and Laura Rauscher were recognized at a home game against Wonderful College Prep Academy, Oct. 17.

Football: The football team recognized their six seniors at a home game, Blake Burdan, Zeke Fuller, Mason Blowers, Tyler Krueger, Tyler Stotts and Nicholas Lonardo, Nov. 1.

Cheer: The cheer squad recognized their three seniors, Kayden Marquez, Danielle Foster and Marin Sue alongside the football team, Nov. 1.

Color guard: Color guard experienced their first senior night by honoring Cassie Ledet, Brittany McCann, Shauna Howard and Sydney Saville at a home football game against Orcutt High School, Nov. 1.

Band: The band recognized their three seniors at a home football game, Janae Shew, Nathan Martin and Lauren Espinosa, Nov. 1.

[/media-credit] 33 out of 57 seniors attended Senior Sunrise, Oct. 31.

Senior Sunrise

The senior class bundled up in blankets for the annual ‘Senior Sunrise‘, Oct. 31. The class gathered at 6:45 a.m. outside the Fresno Christian gym to watch the sunrise. Parents provided breakfast burritos and donuts for the students to enjoy while senior Logan Lewis gave a biblical message. Lewis’ message encouraged the students to persevere through the school year and how God is with us in our struggles.

Sadies

High school students traveled to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk for the annual Sadies event, Nov. 19. Students dressed up as ‘Dynamic Duos’ such as Spongebob and Patrick, Barbie and Ken and Tom and Jerry. The day consisted of roller coasters, rides and food with an ocean view.

Winter Senior Nights

Girls Soccer: The girls soccer team recognized all ten of their seniors, Annabelle Messer, Avery Jones, Megan LeBlanc, Kayla Vanderlinden, Kayden Marquez, Deborah Ingerson, Jayna Roseno, Laura Rauscher and Lillian Fuller.

Boys Soccer: Angel Ruelas, Richie Cortez, Hunter Nale and Mason Blowers were honored at a home soccer game against Summit Charter.

Boys Basketball: The varsity boys basketball team recognized their five seniors, Ty Coffman, Max Munoz, Ryan Brazil, Logan Lewis and Kenneth Hu.

Valentines Day Concert

Choir and ensemble students perform at the fifth annual Valentines Day Concert, Feb. 15. The concert gives the students the opportunity to perform love songs or break up songs in solos, duets or groups. A total of seven seniors, Kayla Vanderlinden, Lindsay Weimer, Blake Deffenbacher, Wesley Hinton, Braden Bell, Logan Lewis and Josiah Giles, performed that night.

Newsies

After five months of preparation, Spotlight Productions presented ‘Newsies‘ to the Fresno Christian community, Feb. 27-29. A total of six seniors, Zeke Fuller, Nicole Wagoner, Colten Allen, Shauna Howard, Natalie Nichols and Claire Palasgard performed in this musical. The students had three showings of ‘Newsies’ and they were all sold out!

[/media-credit] The girls varsity soccer team claimed the Central Section Division V Valley Champions title, Feb. 21.

Girls Soccer Valley Championships

After defeating Roosevelt High School in the semifinals, the girls varsity soccer team advanced to the CIF Central Section Division V Valley Championship game against Kerman High School, Feb. 21. The Eagles had a home field advantage due to their No.1 ranking in the playoffs bracket. After a long fight, the Eagles pulled out a win, defeating Kerman, 2-1, and claiming the Valley Champions title for the first time since 2001.

Boys Basketball Valley Championships

After defeating Parlier High School in the semifinals, the boys varsity basketball team headed to the Selland Arena to play in the CIF Central Section Division V Valley Championship game against Fowler High School, Feb. 28. The Eagles had already defeated Fowler in a home tournament game, 61-57, but was ranked No.2 for playoff rankings while Fowler was ranked No.1. After a double overtime thriller, the Eagles pulled out the win, making them the Central Section Division V champions for the first time since 2012.

The Feather encourages students to send in their favorite photos and captions and the editors hope to publish them in either The Feather website or social media posts. Let us know what you miss about school and what you are doing during shelter-in-place. Use [email protected] to send photos and captions or use the comment box below.

For more Feather photos, visit media, photos 2019-20.

The following slideshow includes images from senior bonding experiences, senior nights and major events seniors participated in.