• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

WRAP-UP: Girls volleyball 2022

[/media-credit] The team ended the season with an overall record of 30 -15.

The Fresno Christian girls volleyball team’s season came to a close Tuesday, Nov. 8. The final game ended with a 3-1 loss to Bear River in the first round of state playoffs. Before the season’s end, the team brought home the first Valley Championship in girls volleyball history.

Coached by Steven Gugliemana and Eric Cisneros, the girls advanced to state playoffs after a 3-0 win in the Division Four Valley Championship game. They finished 30-15 overall as well as 12-2 in the league.

For the first time in history, the team earned the Valley Championship. The gym was packed as the student section cheered, jumping and screaming chants in support of the team. After the win they advanced to state playoffs, another first for girls volleyball.

New student and freshman Sarah Gugliemana led the team with 261 kills. She also leads the team in serving with 96 aces throughout the season. Gugliemana shares what the best part of the season was for her.

“The Valley Championship game was the most fun part of the season because the student section was so hype,” Gugliemana said. “I did not think we would make it to Valley’s, but we did and we played great as a team.”

Jazmine Davidson, ‘23, has played all four years and enjoyed the Valley Championship game the most. Davidson’s favorite part of the season outside of games was the team trip.

“I really liked the Morro Bay trip where we were in a tournament, playing games and traveling with the team. The bonding was a fun experience,” Davidson said. “We stayed in tents and camped as a team. Even though we didn’t do good in the games, being with the team and starting to trust each other was very beneficial.”

Head coach Steven Gugliemana started coaching volleyball in 1987. He coaches school and club teams for both boys and girls. He brought lots of experience in the playoffs, which helped the team progress forward.

[/media-credit] Fresno Christian girls volleyball earned their first Valley Championship title, Nov. 3.

“The season was a huge success. It was the first Division Four Girls Volleyball Valley Championship ever,” Gugliemana said. “We also were able to play against top teams in tournaments and games. It’s always fun to play at a high level and the girls enjoyed playing volleyball the way it’s supposed to be played.”

Gugliemana was proud of how the team used teamwork and brought all they had been working on together when it mattered most. He shares what his favorite memories of the season were.

“My favorite memory this season is just watching the girls’ excitement when they win. For me it’s not about me, it’s about them and when they get very excited after winning, that’s what it’s all about,” Gugliemana said. “The Valley Championship game was also wicked cool, the student section showed up and it was a great game.”

They will lose six seniors this year but the future of the program is hopeful of future success with this year’s freshmen and sophomores.

To read more from The Feather, go to Alumni Spotlight: Juli Amodei or Column: Keep an open mind.