Senior Lifer – Emma Calderon

The term ‘Lifer’ affectionately represents those students who have completed all 13 years of education at Fresno Christian Schools. This year’s graduating class will honor 11 students who all began their journey in 2010 as a kindergartener. Learn more about each ‘Lifer’ in this Feather series as we talk to the student and their parents. 

Emma Calderon:

What are some of the biggest changes you have seen at FCS since you’ve been here?

The change in campuses, ethics and younger teachers.

What teacher/s have made an impact on you?

The teachers that made an impact In my life Kori James (AP Euro) (APUSH) (Feather Adviser), Jacob Cantu (Anatomy & Physiology) (AP Bio), Mrs. [Michelle] Devereaux (fourth grade teacher), and Greg Stobbe (Adviser) (Creative Writing); they advanced my knowledge and motivated me to continue pursuing a prominent future fulfilling my dreams.

Which grades have been most memorable and why?

Senior and Junior; I finally began to discover my identity at The Feather, the elective is similar to a full-time job and through that experience I became closer to my fellow staff members while expanding my portfolio.

If you could go back, what advice would you give your younger self?

“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” Nelson Mandela

How would you describe the tools that FCS has given you to head into your next chapter?

FCS prepared me for the future through a strong set of educational knowledge necessary for college.

A note of gratitude.

Words cannot express my gratitude to its full capacity; I will commit myself to being successful for my parents and extended family.

The average investment made by most parents who made the commitment to send their child to FCS for over 13 years is more than $104,000. What was the foundation behind this choice? We ask the parents of each ‘Lifer’ to tell us more about their journey and sacrifice for their child’s private education.

Parents:

Reasons for your investment into FCS for 13 years?

We chose to invest in Fresno Christian as we were looking for an institution where Emma would continue to enhance her Christian values.  We also wanted her to thrive with a deep understanding concerning the United States Constitution and what it provides to the people. We believe that Emma would enjoy her educational experience surrounded by people that live with faith and honor God by putting Him first in their lives both in the professional and personal aspects of their lives. By providing this foundation for Emma we are confident that she will continue to prosper on her educational journey as well as her personal life led by her strong faith and values.

What connections did you have to FCS before enrolling?

We had very limited knowledge about private schools in general. We did not have any connections to Fresno Christian School; however, we took a leap of faith and without any doubts we enrolled Emma to FCS. If you are a family that is not sure about committing or are still looking for a unique and family-oriented education, FCS is the best place to be.

What are you most grateful for about your child’s education?

We are grateful for Emma’s solid and consistent education throughout the years.  We are especially grateful for all the positive experiences she has encountered and the many blessings and protection of our Lord Jesus Christ. The best part for me as a parent is that there was a structured environment that was rigorous enough to prepare her, yet faith based enough to shape her into a well-rounded individual with a strong faith, morals, and values. This experience has been a positive one for not only Emma but for our family.

Favorite memory of your student’s 13 years at FC?

There’re many great memories. One was watching Emma enjoying her Anatomy and Physiology class.  She was very excited to bring home the pupil of a bull’s eye. She would go over the experiments in class with joy and grasp so much new knowledge that helped her find new interests.

Another great memory was when she prepared her first article for the Feather. She got in touch through Instagram with the writer of the book in which she wrote the article. Emma doubted that the writer was going to reply to her message. A few days later, Emma got home super excited because the writer contacted her. When she was telling me, I saw in Emma’s eyes the shine of the great woman full of talents that she is.

As parents we will never forget the first day of kindergarten with Mrs.[Amy] Witters, it was wonderful to see a classroom full of love…

Emma plans to attend La Verne University, studying kinesiology for a future in sports medicine.

More senior lifer series coming soon.

To read the most recent senior lifer article, visit Senior Lifer – Seth Radke.

To read more from the Feather, visit Trade Schools as a Valuable Alternative.

Emma Calderon’s recap at FCS: