Hurricane Hillary impacts Fresno residents

Infrared+of+Hurricane+Hillary+from+a+satellite+image%2C+Aug.+18.+
Infrared of Hurricane Hillary from a satellite image, Aug. 18.

Hurricane Hilary hits the state of California Aug. 20, 2023. 

For the first time in 84 years California residents braced for approaching hurricane Hillary. Wildfires, earthquakes, mudslides and high mountain thunderstorms are a regular occurrence in the sunshine state, however hurricane winds accompanied by heavy rain brought widespread concerns. 

The Storm first approached through Baja south of San Diego and spread up towards the central valley Aug. 19. Two days after Hilary made her debut the National Hurricane Center downgraded the category 1 hurricane to a post-tropical cyclone.  

In Fresno, flights were canceled, trees uprooted and telephone poles damaged, causing the loss of electricity in spots throughout the valley. Traffic lights from Dakota Avenue and Highway 180 and Hughes Avenue to Blackstone Avenue were down beginning before sunrise, Sunday morning. 

Senior and leadership student Mckenzie Sue shared, “I was outside during the storm, I watched as a tree crashed into a telephone pole, it knocked out the entire neighborhood’s power for three days. During that time, I mostly crafted braided bracelets.”

According to CBS News, Hillary is said to be a post tropical cyclone, which would be the first tropical storm of that category to hit the Dream State since 1939. Eighty-four years ago an unnamed hurricane fell upon Southern California, despite the region’s dry air, cool water and wind conditions (The New York Times). The hurricane flooded streets, capsized boats, and took the lives of 100 victims. 

“I’m extremely grateful that no one was seriously hurt or any fatalities here in the Valley,” said Sue.“The cyclone created the perfect weather for staying and diving into a book or going out to dance in the rain.”  

In another part of town…

History Teacher Kori James hosted a wedding shower in her Sunnyside backyard which her husband and her spent hours preparing for. Within seconds all the preparations were either blown away or soaked. 

“The party was 30 minutes from the first guests arriving, yard looked beautiful, tables and flower arrangements were set,” James described. “Within seconds the intense wind filled the yard with debris, turned over tables, chairs and floral arrangements. Then the rain showed up, and all we could do was laugh through the torrential downpour.”

Within minutes the storm passed and the party crew was able to hastily reassemble a version of the planned event. Ironically the weather made for an enjoyable evening outside. 

Adviser Kori James and her family had a sudden change of plans when hurricane winds ruined their party prep, Aug. 19.

For more Feather news visit First football game honors Maui wildfire victims or FC Underground 2023-2024, No.3.