Track and Field treks through the rain

Team hurdles into season with new athletes
Meilani+Gilmore-Young%2C+24%2C+serving+as+team+captain%2C+competes+in+long+jump.+This+is+one+of+the+four+jumping+events+in+Track+and+Field.+
Meilani Gilmore-Young, ’24, serving as team captain, competes in long jump. This is one of the four jumping events in Track and Field.

Muddy footprints mark the ground, while a gentle drizzle falls upon Laina Penland, ‘25, as she stretches in preparation for her warm-up. Despite the rain and the chill, the track and field season has officially begun.

Under the coaching of the dynamic duo, Shawn Young and Dorina Gilmore-Young, the team is poised for a bright future. Young, also the assistant cross country coach, has successfully helped train promising talent like Blake Bay and Giada Gilmore-Young. Dave Koretoff (throws), Adam Bay (distance), and Sam Hawley (middle distance) also join this year’s coaching staff to help the team train for the various events.

Track and Field encompasses much more than merely running in circles; it’s a blend of running, jumping and throwing. The Fresno Christian Track and Field team participates in over a dozen events, such as sprints, relays, discus and shot put, distance races and long jump. Track and Field is also a unique sport because boys and girls train together. Young shares his anticipation for this new season with his team.

“There’s great promise with this team,” Young said. “I’m looking forward to seeing how fast they run, how far they throw and how far they can jump. We are hoping for multiple school records to be broken this year.”

Junior Ian Palsgaard competes in the 800-dash as one of the many track and field events. Palsgaard continues to chase the record this season.

Practice has already started, attracting many newcomers to the sport. The team remains open to anyone interested in jumping on board. Returning athletes have voiced their excitement about the new season and the fresh talent joining their ranks. This team also has several homeschool athletes who complete the team.

Last season ended on a high note, particularly for now-Junior Ian Palsgaard, who, despite battling respiratory issues, nearly broke the record for the 800m dash. He was one second off. Looking forward to this season, he shares, “Perseverance is about the disposition of the heart. When I consider my own heart’s disposition, I’m driven to be more supportive of my teammates. This year, my goal is to be a source of encouragement and a role model for the new players.”

To read more from the Feather visit [Podcast] FC EagleCast, Episode No. 3 – Brian Butler or Boys tennis plans to repeat CIF title.

For more on last year’s track and field visit 2023 track and field season.

For more on Fresno Christian Sports view the athletics page.