Freshmen acclimate, newbies adjust

Many consider change to be awkward and difficult. Just when students feel confident as eighth graders, they are promoted to high school, back to the bottom of the totem pole as freshmen.

High school overwhelms some students with fears of the unknown, some of which include new teachers, a higher degree of difficulty in classes, the location of lockers, the amount of homework, and preparation for college.

Some have an advantage in the fall semester because of the strength provided by friends. Senior Melanie Nachtigall, outside hitter on the varsity volleyball team, transferred to this campus with her friend, Kelsey Penner, ?08, her freshman year.

?My sister came here and she loved it,? Nachtigall said, ?and my friends were here too. Kelsey and I came here from another school; we were in it together.?

For some students who transfer from a public junior high to a private high school, the change seem drastic because most public schools are larger than private schools. Freshman Shelby Decker, a former cheerleader at Tenaya Middle School, came to campus to participate in the cheer program.

?This year was a big change for me because I came from Tenaya, a public school, right to a private school,? Decker said. ?Tenaya had about 500 eighth graders. I was excited, but a little scared.?

Many remember certain events or activities in high school, whether decorating a new locker or meeting new people. Heidi Dembach, ?11, a new student from Rivergold Elementary School, appreciated getting a new locker.

?Having a locker is the best part of high school,? Dembach said. ?I really need it for my books. In junior high we did not have lockers. I had to carry all of my books around; my back really hurt.?

For some new students high school has some good parts, but with good probably comes bad. New difficulties might include the amount of homework or learning where freshman classes are. Freshman Zach Camden, a new student from Ahwahnee Middle School and a new football team member, had something to say about high school.

?The difficultly is the homework,? Camden said. ?Homework is the worst part of high school.?

While all transitions in the fall semester seem difficult, developing relationships may make adjustments easier.

“I’ve learned that having friends both in calculus and A.P. English make completing homework and understanding the material a more enjoyable experience,” senior Ryan Martens said. “But it took me time to understand this epiphany.”

For more information on new student events, read Coleton Hutchins’ Aug. 23 online article, “Luncheon promotes fellowship”.