Fasting and Bible reading plan

Julia Castiglione

As the new year kicks off, students fall back into their regular routines. While schedules get packed, filling minds with stress, Peoples Church youth group, The Chase, starts a 21-day fast and Bible reading plan in hopes to be able to recenter ourselves and focus on what truly has our attention. 

Youth Pastor, Marcus Marshall shares why he believes fasting is important.

“I don’t think the emphasis is on the what, it should be on the why.” Marcus said, “It is why we are fasting and there is something in depth spiritually that comes because you fast.”

The idea of fasting comes from the story in the Bible about the 21-day Daniel fast. In the Old Testament it also talks about the story of the three Hebrew boys that refuse to bow to the king because of their fasting. There is another story in the New Testament where Jesus has his disciples who were trying to cast a demon out of someone and they told Jesus they couldn’t do it but he said that this will only come out by prayer and fasting. Scripture says prayer and fasting is something that should be part of your life. 

On top of New Year’s resolutions, many people will be fasting on important items like food, social media, video games and television to spend more time with God. 

According to Marshall, fasting is something that will take you out of your normal life in order to center your focus on God. 

“It is something that is actually going to be a sacrifice. Something that you are used to having that’s part of your normal life that has your attention. You’re going to say I’m going to prove to myself to God that I can get rid of all of this stuff and still focus on God.”  

If you would like to join, this fast ends January 31 with a worship night at Peoples Church. 

For more from The Feather, visit 2023-24 Winter sports or Deck the halls with cans and toys.  

For more Feather photos, visit our media page.